Mariner 40/30 jet leaking oil

riverjunction

Recruit
I'm looking at buying a mariner 40/30jet 3 cyl 2stroke to put on a 1648 MV alumacraft with pods and console.

The motor was used regularly in 2011 summer months and sat all summer 2012. With a trickle charge slowly fired up this spring and has been used 5 or 6 times this summer. Runs strong, has good compression in all cylinders (119psi), but seeps small amounts of oil.

What causes this?

Easy/inexpensive fix?

Other common issues with the mariner jet outboards?

Any and all helpful responses are much appreciated as I'm new to this... Thanks!

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Mariner 40/30 jet leaking oil

Unburnt fuel. RUN it. But I would change the water pump impellar. jets are a little more work to Do.
We are talking about a outboard with a jet, instead of a prop drive, correct????

Last edited:

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

The water pump impeller is as easy as one with a prop or jet.. Same housing and parts etc..

Mi duckdown

Commander

Sort of. BUT removing the Pancake jet is alittle different.

Last edited:

riverjunction

Recruit

Unburnt fuel. RUN it. But I would change the water pump impellar. jets are a little more work to Do.
We are talking about a outboard with a jet, instead of a prop drive, correct????

Yes. Outboard with jet drive, not prop. Is water pump impeller a chore to change? Does that tent to be expensive for parts and labor? If I choose to buy it the local marina will be doing all of the servicing. Thanks..

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sort of. BUT removing the Pancake jet is alittle different.

Pancake jet? i am new to this term.

I am talking about the jet drives from outboardjets.com, I have owned several over the years and its the same. If your swapping the LU from prop to jet you even use the impeller housing off the propped lu.

No.. water pump impellers aren't expensive and it is easy,not to be confused with the jet impeller. Disconnect the shift cable,drop the lower unit and the impeller housing will be on top of the pump.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

A 40/30 jet will likely be a dog on a 16' boat. I had a similar boat with 60/40 and it worked well. My buddy has a 60/40 on 13 footer, and I have a 90/60 on my current 15.5'

riverjunction

Recruit

All helpful info. I made an offer on a merc 60/40 but the guy wants too much $. I think this 40/30 will be a good set up for a first river boat. Then in time I'm sure ill upgrade

Mi duckdown

Commander

Jets hate weeds or weed beds. just so you know.

riverjunction

Recruit

Well the 40/30 was a no-go. You where right it was a turd on the 16' MV. I want a 16' boat so i need to find a bigger outboard jet motor. Anyone know of any for sale near my location? Will buy boat motor and trailer or just motor...