oil injector pump

Mlentz5540

Recruit
I have a 1986 Mariner 175. I would like to do away with the pump, (oil injection pump) and mix oil with gas. Do I need to buy a kit or is this just a matter of removing oil tank at motor and crimping off oil lines? I have a feeling that this idea to just shut off oil pump is a little more complex than first thought. I want to make sure all alarms are still working like they should and engine is safe to operate with oil mixed gas.
Thanks Friends.........Mike

Last edited:

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: oil injector pump

I believe you can get a kit from Merc for that engine that comes with a cover plate so you can remove the pump and plug the hole in the block. Google is your friend.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

It comes with a dummy plug that goes into the gear on the crank shaft or you will have problems you don't want to have...rebuild motor time....plastic gear has to be held in place...

Mlentz5540

Recruit

It comes with a dummy plug that goes into the gear on the crank shaft or you will have problems you don't want to have...rebuild motor time....plastic gear has to be held in place...

Can injector pump be left on and oil line from oil tank to pump just be crimped off and oil reservoir removed from motor? I know I would need to rewire modual so as to get only temp and strart-up warning. I have noticed several motors done this way, but not sure if they removed any internals.