Lower Unit Shifting Question - 1989 Mariner 30 HP Made in Japan

rkuz

Cadet
Mariner 30 HP 1989 Made in Japan ( 30A EL 689-413869 - 689-416198 1985 )

Should the prop spin when turning the spline while LU is dropped? And if it should turn, what is my next step to find the problem? (Is there any shift linkage connections to check without tearing apart the lower unit?)

This motor is new to me, was told had electrical problems, replaced bad coil, got it running, now it wont shift gears or spit water out the tattle tale. Pulled Lower Unit from motor. When I spin the spline it does not spin the prop. Tried moving the gear selector and nothing changes. The prop is always able to turn in both directions freely. Even when it was attached to the motor the prop would spin freely no matter what gear it was in. The spline groves look good and so does the end up inside the power head. Looks to be no wear or damage to the spline where it connects to the power head.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Lower Unit Shifting Question - 1989 Mariner 30 HP Made in Japan

Not sure what you are referring to as the "spline." Do you mean the drive shaft?

rkuz

Cadet

Yes Drive Shaft is the word I was looking for.

When I turn the drive shaft should the prop spin? I have the LU dropped, and tried moving the shift shaft up and down but the prop never spins when I turn the drive shaft.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

then it isnt in gear or the gears are bad, what dose the LU oil look like.

rkuz

Cadet

The LU oil was drained when I got it. Drained it since I filled it and not seeing any metal. How does the shift linkage attach? Any chance it is not seated right or nit in the correct gear position? Or is it time to tear the LU apart to find the cause?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Appears the gears are in neutral. Can you move the lower shift shaft up or down (may have to turn the driveshaft clockwise at the same time)?

rkuz

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies! As much as I wanted it to be an easy fix, it does not appear to be the case. Tore apart the LU and found the Drive Shaft splines to the pinion gear to be stripped. The retaining ring was off of the slide clutch, maybe it locked up the gears and caused the drive shaft to get stripped. The rest of the gears and the drive shaft to power head seam to be ok. I am thinking of getting a replacement drive shaft and attempting to put the LU back together. Any other things I should look for to determine if the rest of my LU is still viable?

Anyone have a used drive shaft that would work for the 30a motor they want to get rid of?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Too bad. There's always hope for the simple/easy solution, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

From what other's have posted here, you may have some luck on e-bay. I notice the Crowley site shows two drive shafts for that motor (I assume one for short-shaft and one for long-shaft) - with one out of stock and one available, but at a pretty hefty price.

Good luck!