25 hp Mercury Starting and Idle problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinfish2750

Recruit
This motor has been sitting for 3 years with the old gas still in the carb. I know a little about carb rebuilds so I have cleaned and checked this one several times. I cannot get the motor to start without giving it half throttle. Once it cranks it will run as long as you give it some throttle, but it will not idle. I want to purchase this boat and motor, but not before it can crank and idle without having to manually pull the throttle cable. I have cleaned and checked the carb, cleaned out fuel tank, added high octane gas @ 50:1, new fuel lines and connectors, checked spark plugs. Any help is will be appreciated.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 25 hp Mercury Starting and Idle problems

Are you engaging the choke? You do have to give a cold motor some throttle till it warms for a minute. That's normal.

Last edited:

pinfish2750

Recruit
Re: 25 hp Mercury Starting and Idle problems

Thanks for the tip. It helped me to find that all of the choke mechanisms were not properly engaging. Upon fixing those issues the boat started up just fine, I put it the water, adjusted the idle and made my first boat purchase. Thanks.

Chuck!82

Recruit
Can anyone tell me how to ck my enrichener on my 25 hp 2 stroke Bigfoot? I cannot start my motor unless I remove the enrichener and cover the hole with my thumb. I've cleaned the carb and installed a carb kit. I've also replaced the enrichener with a new one. But I can't tell if that new one is working either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

marylandfisher

Recruit
I have a Mercury outboard 25 engine that's been good to me for a few years until last week when I took the boat out of winter storage (under cover for 5 months). I can't start the engine. I've checked and cleaned the carb, new battery, new spark plugs. Took the plugs out and grounded them to look for spark. There is no spark until the very last second after I stop cranking the starter. After a single spark - on both plugs - nothing happens. Any idea what could be causing this??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hijack Alert!

Read the top of the page and start over with threads of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.