No ignition Mercury XR2 120 Sport Jet

dekaz1

Recruit
I do not appear to be getting ignition from my 1999 Mercury XR2 120 Sport Jet. Boat ran fine several times on a given day. shut it down on the hoist for a few hours and now won't start. Can anyone provide information on how to start trouble shooting the ignition system.

I checked the kill switch with a multi meter (open and closed circuits with/without clip in place) and it seems to be working fine.
I want to rule out the small items. Is there someway to check the ignition switch?
What are the next things I should check? I read that I shoudl check the rev limiter, but I do not know which wire to disconnect - or do I just unplug it?

I would appreciate any help provided to trouble shoot the possible iginition issues.

Dan

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No ignition Mercury XR2 120 Sport Jet

Take off the yellow/blk wire from the switch box...that is your kill circuit. Try taking the two yellow wires going to the rectifier off and tape them to prevent shorting out can also be a problem...check the main fuse wiring... I had a bad fuse that would do that..Its a reach but it happened...Take the rev limiter and toss it........ let us know how you progress....

dekaz1

Recruit
Re: No ignition Mercury XR2 120 Sport Jet

Tried to troubleshoot the ignition problem and came to the conclusion that it was likely the stator. The local marine service center confirmed it. They replaced the stator assembly and the boat runs great.