1997 Force Trim Up and Won't Go Down

1PT

Recruit
I have a 1997 Mercury Force, 40 hp with the engine stuck up. The trim motor runs when activated. If I push the up trim it runs until it squeels. When pushing the lower button the trim motor runs but it won't go down and just in case you ask, no the up lock is not engaged and the motor normally goes up and down easily.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

PT

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Force Trim Up and Won't Go Down

Well your trim button supplies power to your relays. They work. The motor works. Squealing is a pressure relief valve letting pressure off at a limit. That works.

Tell you what. Don't care how you do it but disconnect your trim system from the midsection such that you can manually move the mid section from max up to max down.....when you do, does it move freely?

Now that your trim system is disconnected, see if it operates properly.

Also, just for grins, swap your relays and see if anything changes.

Obviously since it's all the way up you checked your fluid level being even with the bottom of the threads of the fill plug hole with the engine all the way up.

Let us know how things went.

Mark

1PT

Recruit

Well your trim button supplies power to your relays. They work. The motor works. Squealing is a pressure relief valve letting pressure off at a limit. That works.

Tell you what. Don't care how you do it but disconnect your trim system from the midsection such that you can manually move the mid section from max up to max down.....when you do, does it move freely?

Now that your trim system is disconnected, see if it operates properly.

Also, just for grins, swap your relays and see if anything changes.

Obviously since it's all the way up you checked your fluid level being even with the bottom of the threads of the fill plug hole with the engine all the way up.

Let us know how things went.

Mark

OK will do, thanks for the response. Will post the results.

RRitt

Captain

I have a 1997 Mercury Force, 40 hp with the engine stuck up. The trim motor runs when activated. If I push the up trim it runs until it squeels. When pushing the lower button the trim motor runs but it won't go down and just in case you ask, no the up lock is not engaged and the motor normally goes up and down easily.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

PT

the tip of your nylon Manual release valve might be broken. If not, then the actuator piston (aka shuttle) in your check valve circuit is failing to operate. It could be debris but this system has a built in debris filter. It could be the oring on actuator has a leak. It could be that one of the check valve poppets is failing and the system never generates enough pressure to slide the actuator. Actuator problems can be trickey. I'd look for a broken oring on the MRV first. If the tip is broken off then you need to extract the old one (and all debris) before the system will work.

one of your check valve poppets are failing to close hold

1PT

Recruit

First off, thank you mark and Captain for you helpful suggestions. I flushed the system, put in new fluid and it works like it always did.

Thanks again for you help.