2002 Mercury 40hp gear linkage removal question

NoStress

Cadet
Hello, I am new to this forum but I have read a lot of the posts over the years.

I have a 2002 Boston Whaler 130 Super Sport with a 40hp Mercury engine (same year as boat and trailer)

The boat is rarely used (36 hours) as I am new to boating and have trouble backing. This would be a different problem all together!!

My problem...well one of many...I ran my motor for the first time since getting a flywheel and water pump replacement last year. The motor does not **** water out. It is not clogged as I can put water on the top of the engine and water comes out normal. My alarm comes on saying it is overheating.

Just for the record, I have had trouble twice at the repair shop (big brand); so I am thinking the water pump replacement probably iS not correct.

I went on You-tube and watched some videos how to lower the lower end. Looked easy...I lowered about 3 inches then discovered the gear linkage is still connected!

I attempted to push the lower end back up but met resistance. I had my daughter put the gear shifter in FORWARD, the lower end went back up. Now my gear shifter does not work properly but it (I think!) should fix once I remove the linkage properly.

Again I went online to research my dilemma and saw a few posts with pictures of a release I need to raise then push the rod to the left?! I cannot find the area this linkage release is located. I removed ( not disconnected) the front electrical misc to look behind but found not what I am looking for.

Can someone please guide this lost soul?! I need the info "DummyDown" for me!

My engine serial number is : 40ELPTEFI. OT583468

Sincerely,
Greg

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 Mercury 40hp gear linkage removal question

You will find that the lever on tiller motors is on the side of the motor in the lower cowling area, item 14. It needs to be pushed in and rotated and the linkage removed. Here is a link to a online manual for your motor, Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 30-40hp 2002 and above
If it is a console motor you will need to read more and you should be able to find the needed info. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

NoStress

Cadet
Re: 2002 Mercury 40hp gear linkage removal question

My motor is not a tiller type it is a regular outboard. I found the linkage in the front of the motor under a lot of electrical.

I was able to lower the lower end and took apart the waterpump area. I noticed there is no or very little if any grease in the housing or even on the drive shaft. Under the water pump there was alot of salt residue that i thought would have been cleaned off before they replaced the water pump with new; maybe my style of maintenance is different! :facepalm:

I am going to replace the water pump anyways since I have it off.

My major concern now is how do I know what gear the shift lever is in. According to my book (I found), I am supposed to put the gear in neutral before lowering but since i already messed up that part...is there a way to know what gear it is in?

I was able to push down on the gear shifter and the propeller moves in both directions but the drive shaft moves in the opposite direction than i did in "forward".

Thanks again for all the help I hope I did not "break off more than I can chew!"