Mercury 2.5 hp serial number/year

Rebil79

Cadet
Not sure what Im missing but I cant find the serial number on this motor (cant find any numbers anywhere). Im looking at buying this from a guy at work and he is letting me try it out. Its needs a couple things so I would like to know the year and he dosent remember. Here is a pic.

Thanks Rebil

Rebil79

Cadet
Re: Mercury 2.5 hp serial number/year

Ok, thanks, found it but cant find any info on it. Comes up as invalid. Here is a pic of the tag, the number is 9751530.

Thanks Rebil

Rebil79

Cadet
Re: Mercury 2.5 hp serial number/year

That s/n comes up as a made in Belgium engine:

2,5 2.5 1-cyl 9741139 9792524 1993 Belgium

From here:

Mercury 2-takt, 1-cyl, 2,2 - 5 hp, produktions?r, modellguide

Parts List:

2.5/3 HP(NON-SHIFT) - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

The service manual you require is 90-44477-1 and I can send you a copy if you PM me with an email address.

Gerry

Hey thanks! PM sent. Any reason to stay away from this engine? Are Belguim Mercs common? Guy is asking $150, needs a little work, the tiller handle broke, so I will have to fix that and a couple other small things. It does seem to run good, I havnt actually had is on the water yet, hopefully this weekend. I assume that its a 50:1 mix ratio?, doesnt say anywhere on it. I also heard a rumor that some of the 2.5 (maybe all of them) have a restrictor plate in the carb that can be taken out and will be similiar to a 3 hp, and that the carbs are set up the same so no other adjustments are needed. My niece little 90 4 wheeler had something like this. Dont know if any of this is true.

Thanks again
Rebil