Can You Rcommend Epoxy for Repairing Broken Plate Under Power Head on 25 hp Mercury?

david860

Cadet
I broke off a corner of the aluminum plate under the power head on a 25 hp mercury. Instead of spending over $200 on a replacement part, I thought I would try to repair it with JB Weld. Can anyone recommend an epoxy? Thanks.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can You Rcommend Epoxy for Repairing Broken Plate Under Power Head on 25 hp Mercu

Is it where heat or water is? How about a picture? If you have corner I suggest you have it welded and ground down as it will hold better than a epoxy....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can You Rcommend Epoxy for Repairing Broken Plate Under Power Head on 25 hp Mercu

JB Weld is an Epoxy.

david860

Cadet

Is it where heat or water is? How about a picture? If you have corner I suggest you have it welded and ground down as it will hold better than a epoxy....

It would probably would not be cost effective to have it welded. I would just replace the part. An epoxy like JB Weld would be a cheap way out. I don't think I would have a heat problem. JB Weld would handle the heat. I was just wondering if there is something better. JB Weld is all I know, but there may be newer better epoxies. Thank you for your reply.

Mr. Asa

Seaman

I believe that JB Weld is a fairly decent one for what you're looking at. You're going to have to clean and prep the surface fairly decently, remove any corrosion and paint around it.

david860

Cadet

I believe that JB Weld is a fairly decent one for what you're looking at. You're going to have to clean and prep the surface fairly decently, remove any corrosion and paint around it.

OK, thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

have never found glue to work where things should be properly welded. have you tried ebay? motor parts are cheep

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Obviously, a new/used part would be a better choice than repairing; HOWEVER, JB Weld (A GREAT EPOXY) is super strong, and fairly cheap compared to a replacement part. I would no-doubt give it a try. What do you have to lose?

david860

Cadet

have never found glue to work where things should be properly welded. have you tried ebay? motor parts are cheep

I didn't think of ebay for a part like this. I'll take a look. Thanks for the advice. Just thought I would try a cheap alternative.

david860

Cadet

Obviously, a new/used part would be a better choice than repairing; HOWEVER, JB Weld (A GREAT EPOXY) is super strong, and fairly cheap compared to a replacement part. I would no-doubt give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Yes, TD_Maker, that's what I thought. What do I have to lose? If it doesn't work, I'll have to get a replacement part. But, I know that I'll only have one chance at repairing it, so I wanted to use the best epoxy. The holding strength of JB Weld is the highest of seen for low cost epoxies. There are all these stories of miracle repairs with the stuff, so why not try? It's not in a location where anything is at risk.

kungpaoshizi

Petty Officer 1st Class

jb weld or marine tex gray (higher psi than jb)

david860

Cadet

I found the part on ebay used for one third the cost of new. I think I'll go used rather than repair. Thanks for the advice.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I found the part on ebay used for one third the cost of new. I think I'll go used rather than repair. Thanks for the advice.

Its how I fixed my 9.8 for next to nothing. picked up entire upper and lower cowling along with power head "plate" as you put it for under $40