35 Hp Mercury Stays in forward gesr

Kenzies Papaw

Recruit
I have a 35 HP Mercury with a quicksilver shifter. Boat was in forward gear idling in a no wake zone when I started to shift into neutral it seemed a little hard to shift then got easy ,now it stays in forward gear even in neutral or reverse and is hard to start always started on first or second crank. The motor did not hit anything lower unit lube is pretty and full. When I move the shifter and watch in the motor everything is moving as it should I think. Any ideals? Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 35 Hp Mercury Stays in forward gesr

You didn't give the year model of the engine or the remote control type number, or picture of it. You said you watch the motor and everything is moving as it should, what does that mean? Do you have the cowl off and are looking down at the engine shift linkage where the remote cable attaches and it moves through the full range of FNR on the engine by moving the lever on the remote control? There should be slide marks on the slide where the shifter has moved in the past inside the engine on the throttle linkage where the remote attaches. Is it moving this full distance? Course if you have the older 4 cyl 35 hp the shifting is different.

If so, you have to me, one of three things.

Something broke or loosened between the shift linkage the remote connects to in the engine and the top of the shift rod. Or the remote shifter/linkage broke.

The shift rod inside the engine that takes the shift info from below the powerhead down to the shift shaft in the LU broke...salt water corrosion.

The clutch dog follower spring inside the prop shaft broke...not very likely.

What is your prop doing? Will it turn. If it does how does it turn. Does it rotate like in F gear where ccw there is resistance and cw there is a clicking noise (clutch dog overrun clutch in action)? Does it just free spin? Is it locked in both ccw and cw positions like it is in R gear?

Have you ever had the LU off? Think you can remove it yourself?

Mark