1982, mercury 40 hp timing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercniac

Cadet
I got his motor for free in great shape, except it needs a stator and trigger, and the flywheel was taken off by the eight bolts and not at the hub so I don't know how to install it for the correct timing, the pointer is still in place,
Also, I see the stator, held on with 2 allen head screws and the trigger but also another component that is held on by 3 Allen screws. it has three metal surfaces facing the inside of the flywheel (magnets) similar to the stator but with two wires connected to the rectifier, both wires are yellow with a red stripe,
What is it and should I test and or replace that also?
Thanks for any help you can give me

jslu

Seaman
Re: 1982, mercury 40 hp timing questions

I got his motor for free in great shape, except it needs a stator and trigger, and the flywheel was taken off by the eight bolts and not at the hub so I don't know how to install it for the correct timing, the pointer is still in place,

Remove both spark plugs. Turn the flywheel clockwise while monitoring the position of the piston in the cylinder in the no. 1 hole (The top piston). Insert a screwdriver, or similar, into the top hole and while turning the fllywheel slowly, closely observe when the piston arrives at top dead center. When this is verified, then install flywheel so that 0 degree marker on the flywheel aligns with your pointer. Then install all flywheel bolts.

You must remove the flywheel entirely with a flywheel puller to replace the trigger. The diameter of the trigger assy ring will not allow it to go past the larger diameter flywheel hub still attached to your crankshaft.

Good luck!

John

Last edited:

Mercniac

Cadet
Re: 1982, mercury 40 hp timing questions

That is your charge coils.

That's what I needed to know, I appreciate the info, my parts will be here Thurs, I just pulled the fly wheel hub, ready to put it back together.
Thanks again for the help

billaustin3

Recruit
I have a 1982 40 HP Mercury outboard and I made the same mistake while removing the flywheel. Not realizing this action would create a timing issue, I removed the eight 5/16-inch bolts attaching the plate to the hub. I have the flywheel puller for the older KH7, Mark 30, Merc 800 and also the puller for the Merc 850. These will not fit the newer (1882) 40 HP. It's hard to believe that Mercury did not incorporate some type of timing marks on the flywheel hub and plate. Thanks to jslu for his post on how to correct this mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.