Whinnnny Bigfoot. ????

I have twin 2011 4 stroke 60 HP Mercury Big foot ( with the proper props) 13.75 x 15 ...
When under way or sometimes just at idol both motors at different times make a high pitched whining noise?
At low and high rpms , on and off , sometimes I just throttle up or down and the whine goes away but can return at any time. First it was one motor took in for service at Merc dealer cost $180.00 to tell me they found a miniscule amount of sand in the system , cleaned and the like I said previously some times they whine.... took for a couple rides and the whine is still present... $180.00 down the drain ...
I can go out for a whole day and not hear it at all. I can go out for a whole day and hear nothing but annoying WHINE.

Frustrated, Please Help has any one had the same ?

Some times they are a perfect hum,

These motors are under warrantee, Trying not to be held up in the season In RI very short

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Whinnnny Bigfoot. ????

Sometimes with two engines running at slightly different rpm's there could be a harmonic sound because of the different frequencys produced by each engine. Does this sound change or go away if you change rpm a little on just one engine?

Re: Whinnnny Bigfoot. ????

Thank you for your Help....
This cannot be the problem fore I shut down each motor independently to determine what motor is whining.
again it happens at low idol, and basically in gear it seems to happen more than in neutral,
and at High rev and any where in between they can whine independently.

Still Frustrated.

Thanks again
Electric Man

fishter

Recruit
Does it sound like a car with a loose belt? I have a 2003 Mercury 50 HP EFI 4 stroke with Bigfoot. Just had the Mid-engine replaced. Now I also have a high pitched noise and it sounds just like a car with a loose belt. I took it back to the mechanic and he lubed the main shaft. The sound went away for a short time (1hr of intermittent use) Then came back worst. The mechanic said he was going to call Mercury to see if there was a fix.

Does it sound like a car with a loose belt? I have a 2003 Mercury 50 HP EFI 4 stroke with Bigfoot. Just had the Mid-engine replaced. Now I also have a high pitched noise and it sounds just like a car with a loose belt. I took it back to the mechanic and he lubed the main shaft. The sound went away for a short time (1hr of intermittent use) Then came back worst. The mechanic said he was going to call Mercury to see if there was a fix.

I have the answer ..
There is a bushing/Barron's on a shaft that is installed upside down from the factory ...
When the shaft is spinning the bushing is being drained of grease from centrifical force.
They had to replace this spent bushing and invert so the opening (where the grease is ,
is not installed pointing down) so it stays lubed!!! This was warrantee work for me
Call customer care at Mercury .. They know all about it! Bad design ..
My twin 60 HP have not made this noise since the repair.
Good luck.
Electric Man.