Transom Height VS engine shaft..45 hp 1984 mercury

imbassman

Recruit
My Wife and I are rehabbing a 1965 Montgomery Ward Sea King. The transom is 16" from top to Keel and the motor we got has a 20" shaft. If I understand my web research I need to raise the motor 4". Is this correct? I see that there are transom elevators that are aluminum for about 150. but those will raise the engine 5". I have seen conflicting info one says to keep the anti cav plate at the keel level or 1 inch below the keel and some say at keel or 1 inch above the keel.

I don't wish to tear apart the transom and rebuild it.

1. I want to the boat as close to original as possible.
2. If this motor dies and I get another with I short shaft. I don't want to have to rehab again.

I am thinking about using 4 pieces of angle iron 1/8" mounted to transom, 2 inside and 2 outside. All ends long enough to extend 4 inches above the transom. Use a 2 X 4 between the angle iron for the motor to rest on. Distance between the pieces of angle iron(basically where the motor will rest) 1 foot. The concern I have is that in this design the mounting clamps on the inside of the boat will rest on the the 2 X 4 putting most of the engine stress on it. I am wondering if the the 1 foot 2 X 4 will handle the stress or break letting my engine fall off the boat. Anyone have suggestions on best course of action?

Thanks