1999 mercury 50 4 stroke I keep blowing 20 amp fuse

I enherited mercury 50 and it has been flawless until recently I went to start motor would not start then I found a blown 20 amp fuse and replaced it ran for a week but now is blowing fuses left and right I am. New with boat engines could it be voltage regulator alternator maybe the fuse terminal itself I am kind of stumped please help !

Re: 1999 mercury 50 4 stroke I keep blowing 20 amp fuse

I should mention that I am only having this problem when I am starting my motor it's fine if the motor turns over ... It's when it does not start and I have to try one or two times that's when the fuse is blowing ...

No it blow when I turn ignition to turn over motor . Not each time
Neiter it's only when it does not start first try its why its hard to isolate problem I will try just to run starter hopefully it's a short in starter it sel because I have yet to find any damaged wires if its not that I will one by one connect the wires hopefully through process of elimination I will find the faulty wire and I can just jump it

carholme

Rear Admiral

You can carry out the tests in Section 2B of the manual which will isolate it down to the starter.

Gerry

carholme

Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, I thought you already had the manual. If you send me a PM with an email address, I will send you a copy.

Gerry

That would help violettegilles@hotmail.com
The boat was my dads he was never much of a mechanic i inherited it last fall has ran great till this point I don't want to plunk too much extra cash cause I plan on buying a 60 for it at the end of season and punting off the 50 I really appreciate the help ps these forums are a life saver

Took the boat out last night and disconnected all the electrical stuff exept for the starter and it ran fine now to narrow down what my problem was !

mitchwilldoit

Recruit

1999 mercury 50 4 stroke on my pontoon bought two weeks ago ran fine 3 hours from marine to my house. Sat for two weeks while working on the boat. Tried to start. it pooped out while lowering the engine. Seems like a fuse problem like this thread. What do you think?
Thanks Mitch

In my case was bad batterie hook up I had exposed wire that would arc when all the electrical was hooked up car holm helped me sent me a manual that explains the wiring diagram and I did it by process of elimination you just have to isolate why your fuse blows if its your trim I would follow the wires from that to batterie . If you have some sort if obvious damage it usually what causes electrical problems because all the wires run same course .