83' Mercury 70 HP Cooling Problem

Ross_C

Recruit
I have a 70 HP Mercury, that while running has no water pressure to the motor and no water coming out of the pee tube. I have replaced the water pump and impeller, I also back flowed water through the top of the motor with the lower unit off to make sure there was no clog. After doing all this I still have no water pumping through the motor. I did notice that when I run water into it from the top that it will drain out through the exhaust port under the cowl. Can anyone help or give me some ideas? I ran it with water muffs and with it submerged in water and no change. I also double checked the water pump to make sure the impeller was in the right direction. Thanks Ross

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 83' Mercury 70 HP Cooling Problem

Did you make sure that the **** tube is clear as mud daubers love to nest in there and you wouldn't believe how hard their nests become. Pass a length of plastic lawn trimmer wire up there.

Gerry

deftones

Cadet

I agree. I just fixed my 68 merc 110 yesterday. I unscrewed the flush plug and shot water in the motor with a hose while poking the pee hole. I only had to poke about two inches and out came a ton of sand .Water flowing freely out pee hole now. still have a problem with head and exhaust getting hot though.. i dont understand it! lol

Ross_C

Recruit

I replaced the pee tube and I also ran a wire through the nipple fitting to make sure it was clear, I removed the plug between the #1 and #2 plugs and flushed water through there. After all that, I still have no water to the motor while running.