86 Mercury 8hp prop shaft install ?

Bigpat5123

Cadet
I recieved a 1986 mercury 8hp in very good condition from a friend but there is a slight problem. The problem being that the propeller shaft somehow backed out of the gear housing while in shallow water. In turn the three teeth on the rear of the bearing carrier were sheared off. All parts were recovered. As far as I understand the three teeth on the back of the carrier are just for removal purposes.

Is there any reason why I can not run the motor without the teeth on the carrier? Everything fits on the shaft correctly.

I am not sure how the carrier backed out but I do not want it to happen again. Is there any special way to install the carrier? For example should i put blue loctite on the threads so it can't back out?

I attached a pic for reference. The red shows where the teeth should be and they would line up with the slots in the thrust bushing pictured next to it.

Any input would be great! Thanks in advance

prop shaft.jpg

Bigpat5123

Cadet
Re: 86 Mercury 8hp prop shaft install ?

I went ahead and ordered a new bearing carrier despite the expensive price tag. Is there any trick to installing this part so it can not back out again?