1999 15HP Mercury Outboard

Sinko

Seaman
I recently purchased a 15HP two stroke Mercury outboard. Serial sticker says it's a 99. The previous owner had it sit for over a year without use (claiming it was winterized). Understanding that this motor needed some TLC, I ran it and determined it wasn't cooling well and didn't run well.
Got it tuned up, carb cleaner kit, impeller and new water pump. Sounded good.

Now, the motor fires up after first pull but immediately dies regardless of how much I pull the choke. I have to pull it (what feels like) 50 times to possibly get it going. If I put it in gear with some throttle and pull (I know it's bad) it'll fire up. I have to let it run like that for a bit before I can let it idle. I'd like to know what the next steps might be to get this fixed?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: 1999 15HP Mercury Outboard

I have a 1996 in the same motor. Still sounds like its not getting fuel. Did you do a full carb rebuild including new gaskets and float and needle and soak it and clean out all of the passages and use high pressure air to blow them out and run fishing line through them to make sure their clear. And another thing to look for is a bad fitting thats sucking air or the gray fuel line.