1989 40 mariner has forward only

peter 1961

Recruit
I have a 1989 mariner 40 hp outboard that I just changed the water impeller on. When i put it back together and put the boat in the water it started and was in forward gear. the shift lever was in the nuetral position. when i put the lever in the forward postion nothing happened. when i put the shifter into reverse the boat went forward. What have I done?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am quite new to working on outboard motors.
Peter

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: 1989 40 mariner has forward only

Is yours' similar to my '82 30 HP - where the shift shaft uncouples at mid-point?

If so, make sure you "sync" the shifter positions when you assemble and join the coupler: lever in neutral/gear box in neutral, or lever in forward/gear box in forward, or ..... (you get the picture).

peter 1961

Recruit
Re: 1989 40 mariner has forward only

Is yours' similar to my '82 30 HP - where the shift shaft uncouples at mid-point?

If so, make sure you "sync" the shifter positions when you assemble and join the coupler: lever in neutral/gear box in neutral, or lever in forward/gear box in forward, or ..... (you get the picture).

On mine , the shaft splits when you take the lower unit off. When you put it back together they slide back into place. I didn't rotate anything, just took it out and fixed the impeller and put it back together.