1983 Mercury 800 (80 hp) reverse lock stuck

Kiedisdog19

Cadet
Hello....I have a 1983 Mercury 800 (4 cyl. 80 hp) on my Lund deep-V that is just about ready to go. Somehow I managed to engage the reverse lock that hooks onto the transom bracket, and now I can't get it to dis-engage. I've tried cycling the motor through the gears, and it's still stuck. When I first got the motor, it was dis-engaged, but somehow I engaged it by hand (I think it engaged when I pulled down on the rod that connects the locking mechanism to the lower unit). Now I can't get it dis-engaged (which I need to do in order to trailer it to the boat ramp). Help!!! :mad:

Any help would be really appreciated.....thanks in advance. Paul

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1983 Mercury 800 (80 hp) reverse lock stuck

Is the gear selection working OK?

Using finger pressure only on the prop;

Forward: Prop should turn (ratchet) CW, will not turn CCW
Neutral: Prop should turn freely in either direction
Reverse: Prop will not turn in either direction

Do you have power trim?

Here is a link to the LU for your engine:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT) - MERC 80

Scroll down to item 46, cam and click on the photo of the reverse lock cam and click on it again to blow it up so you can see it. In Neutral and Reverse, the rod that controls the locking hooks sits on the top flat surface, locking the engine and preventing it from rising. In Forwad gear, the rod slips down the cam face, unlocking the rod and the engine will rise. The rod is seen as item 13 in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY - MERC 80

and the pawls (hooks) are seen as item 22 in this link:

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - TRANSOM BRACKET (LONG SHAFT) - MERC 80

The point to this is that the reverse lock cam must be positioned correctly on the splines of the LU shift shaft to operate correctly. Did you have the LU off?

Gerry

Kiedisdog19

Cadet

I have been trying to lift the motor with it in neutral. I will get the motor into forward later and try again. Thanks.

Kiedisdog19

Cadet

OK....got the reverse lock, un-locked. Just needed to move the gear shift to forward, and that released it. Thanks. Got me wondering though.....does that mean you have to shut the boat down at the boat ramp, and "dry shift" it into forward to trailer the motor up? Maybe a stupid question, but my other boats have all had power trim.

emckelvy

Commander

OK....got the reverse lock, un-locked. Just needed to move the gear shift to forward, and that released it. Thanks. Got me wondering though.....does that mean you have to shut the boat down at the boat ramp, and "dry shift" it into forward to trailer the motor up? Maybe a stupid question, but my other boats have all had power trim.

The best way is to leave it in forward, then shut the key off and "glide" to the ramp. Then the motor will be ready to be tilted.

The reason Merc designed it to lock the motor in Neutral is to prevent kick-up if the throttle were to be chopped-back while at speed. Otherwise, the resistance of the lower unit/prop would cause the motor to pop up, possibly destructively.

Just another "feature" to get used to!

HTH.........ed

Kiedisdog19

Cadet

Thanks alot Ed. Sounds like I'm about ready to start her up, as soon as I can get electricity to my key. It's not turning over now. Just started diagnosing that problem. I'm thinking maybe its the neutral lock in the control box?

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you think you are having a problem with the neutral safety switch, hold the key in the start position and shift the shift lever forward and reverse a few degrees and see if the starter connects.

Gerry

Kiedisdog19

Cadet

Thanks Gerry! I'll give that a shot tonight.