1983 Mercury 70 Timing Way Off.

jonesec

Cadet
When trying to time and synchronize this motor, I set TDC using a dial indicator on the #1 piston. The motor had no timing pointer, and when it was at TDC, the timing marks were directly above the throttle and spark advance lever on the port side of the motor. I guessed that someone at some point in time changed out the stator, and in doing so, pulled the flywheel without pulling the hub, then reinstalled the cover incorrectly.

Since I couldn't find a timing pointer, I fabricated one from stiff wire and placed it where I thought it should go, connected to the bolt that holds on the starter. I lined it up with TDC and marked it on the flywheel. When trying to to time, I couldn't see the timing mark, and when I finally did find it, it looks as if it is 120 degrees off from the timing pointer, near the same spot where the timing marks originally were.

So I am left with these questions. First, where were the timing pointers on the 83 motors? Second, if the flywheel cover was incorrectly indexed, what would cause the timing to be that far off?

I double checked all connections and they seem to be connected to the right place. I also made sure the timing light was hooked to the #1 cylinder, and the spark plug wire was connected to the #1 coil. I'm kind of at a loss. Is it the trigger? Stator? Switch?

jonesec

Cadet
Re: 1983 Mercury 70 Timing Way Off.

An update: I have discovered that both the #1 and the #3 cylinders are firing at the same place, possibly at the same time. When I connect the timing light to the spark plug lead both cylinders are firing in the #3 position. I know I need to procure a DVA and go through the CDI troubleshooting guide, but I would still like some sort of input as to whether it is the trigger, the power pack (switch), or the stator.

Thanks for any input.