Teleflex Outboard Cylinder Kit

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,

So my mom's Misty Harbor pontoon (with a Mercury 135HP Black Max) is about 20 years old. Seats have been replaced, carpet, among other things. Today I was putting the cover on and was trying to turn the wheel to straighten the motor, and trim it up to get the motor out of the water because we were going back home for the week. All of a sudden it felt like the steering got "loose", and the motor wasn't turning. Sure enough my gf yells "there's fluid coming out of the motor!!". I had her turn the wheel so I could see what was going on. I saw hydraulic fluid leaking out of the power steering cylinder, right in the crack where it appears that cap goes on the cylinder. I did some research on the Teleflex HC5370-71, and it appears it has been replaced with the HC5370-3. Looks easy to replace and I've read that replacing the seals is worthless.

My question, is that do I need to buy Hydraulic Fluid of some kind since I'm buying a whole new unit? I'm not familiar with replacing one of these and would sure like some help if possible. I'm sure it come's with instructions, but it would be nice to know ahead of time if I need to buy fluid.

Thanks!

Scott

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Teleflex Outboard Cylinder Kit

I would think not as long as you don't have empty fluid lines to fill up. When you get the new unit it should contain instructions on what type of fluid is used. Some "hydraulic" fluids are actually ATF, Power Steering Fluid, or some weight of crankcase oil. Mercury marine uses ATF in some of it's Power Trim and Tilt systems. Others use Quicksilver PTT fluid but it sure looks like power steering fluid to me.

Service manuals say to look at the fluid that's in the unit. If red it's regular ATF. If clear PTT fluid. If you need genuine hydraulic fluid, Tractor Supply carries it as does most any farm supply store. There are several types depending on what grade you buy. They have the basic 20w oil with a few additives to prevent foaming and corrosion and then the Premium which is made for modern day tractors with much better base stocks and additive package.

You don't need anything fancy. All you need to do is to push a cylinder with something that will not compress and not corrode. Shouldn't be a problem getting oil.

Mark

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark,

Thanks for the help. I called SeaStar, the makers of the Teleflex system, and apparently the cylinder does not come w/ fluid in it........so, I'll have to fill it up through the steering column like in this manual. I guess you have to buy a certain type of fluid, looks like its some fancy aero hydraulic fluid? I'd be scared to just use regular ATF fluid or Power Steering fluid. Doesn't look cheap either, but its a $367 cylinder I certainly don't want to screw it up! SEe attached manual for fluid types:

Attachments

• Teleflex_47_Seastar.pdf
    285.3 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Only use Teleflex/Seastar/Baystar fulid in unit and follow instruction as they are a bear to purge if not followed...

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I found a compatible fluid (MIL-PRF-5056H) that is less expensive than their brand. They want $22.xx a quart and it looks like it takes 2 quarts. I found a "Shell Aeroshell Fluid 4" 1 Gallon for $29.24 online.