2001 Mercury 90 HP Motor Issue

sbfishy

Cadet
Howdy,

I'd like to start off by saying I apologize if this is not very technical-talk. My brother is using my boat this summer while I am out of state working. He called me the other day and there appears to be an issue. Here is how he describes the issue:

"I have no idea WHERE it was leaking from, but when I would try to crank it, it would spit out a light rainbow film onto the water from underneath the water and it smelled like gas...then on the last 2 cranks some bubbles popped up that were black in color and when i touched them, it looked like burnt up oil on my fingers...i checked the oil level and it appeared to be good. i could never see where the leaks came from even once we pulled it out of the water, but some black dripped down from the motor onto the support thing that keeps the motor up off trailer. i have not taken the cover off because i dont know what im looking at. i never got it to turn over. it wasnt much oil...but it was enough to make me say NOPE and trailer back up...i know SOME gas leaks out no matter what when the engine has to be cranked a couple times but this was a LOT. Some attempts at cranking were with choke, some without. Fuel bulb stayed firm."

Some other things to consider: Boat hasn't been run since end of May and the motor has encountered about a month straight worth of rain before it was taken out again (Cover ripped and motor wasn't able to be covered during that period of time).

Again, I apologize that this may be hard to understand, and not technical, I have not seen the issue myself, so I'm just trying to figure out what it possibly could be before I get to it and have to take it to a mechanic.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?

Thanks,
Steve

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 Mercury 90 HP Motor Issue

Sounds like the gas/oil dripped from the Carbs when the motor was tilted and stored. When he lowered the motor, it allowed the mixture to drip down the cowling into the water.

OR

He flooded the engine while cranking. The "black stuff" was actually unburned mixture coming through the exhaust housing through the prop.

sbfishy

Cadet

Would either of those scenarios cause the motor to not crank?

I should have added this before, but he did take it out maybe a week or less before that problem and it cranked and ran fine for a while. He fished and tried to crank to head back in and she wouldn't crank. No leakage, just would not crank. Jumped the cranking battery (which he did fully charge beforehand) and got it started but it was tough to start. I thought maybe the battery was going bad. Then he goes out and has this leakage issue and it won't crank.

Does it sound like I could have multiple issues or something?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

When you say crank, you mean the starter will not turn the motor, or it wont run? That motor is 2 cycle, 4 carb, 4 cylinder?

sbfishy

Cadet

Will not turn over. It's a 2-stroke, 3 carbs I believe.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, either the starter or voltage to the starter is bad or the motor is seized or fuel has gotten into the crankcase locking up the motor. That is just a guess, based upon what you said.

A 2001 motor should be an inline 3 cylinder motor, with 3 carbs, I would think

sbfishy

Cadet

I'm a newbie when it comes to outboards, so excuse my questions. How do I check any/all of those issues?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Well, Remove the three spark plugs. Now try to turn the motor with a socket wrench or pull it with a rope. If she spins smooth, then your starter is bad or the wiring is bad. Clean up both ends of the cables and inspect the cables themselves for corrosion.