Mercury 125 Elpto Starter Motor Issues

rkjack

Recruit
Hello,

I have a Mercury 125 ELPTO and am having some issues with the starter motor. I purchased this boat from my dad a few years back and he had this part replaced in the past. Problem i am having is that when i turn the key, you can hear the starter moter "humm" (which is the pinion assembly just spinning" then i turn the key off and then back on and then the pinion will lift up and turn the flywheel. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 turns of the key before the pinion assembly will jump up and start the boat. EDIT: I also had recently noticed that the valve and cap on the back of the oil tank was missing and that oil was spilling/sloshing out the hole (this has since been fixed). If oil got on top of the starter and make its way into it (which is located right there) could this be causing the problem? Is this a common problem with this part (as this would be the second time being replaced)? Is there anything i can do (short of replacing it) to try and fix the problem (as i would hate to have to drop $250 to get a new one)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Rob

Last edited: