96 75 hp mercury idles but shuts off after 5 min/ primer bulb is soft

CharlestonFF

Cadet
I just bought this boat its a 96 merc. It starts up fine but after running for about 5 min give or take the engine acts like it is not getting any fuel. I have replaced the primer bulb, checked fittings on fuel lines. I have not replaced fuel lines, but I did by pass tank and used jerry can still same problem. I bypassed the fuel pump by running line to the choke/ carb and still same problem. I would like to rule out fuel pump! Not sure where to go from here! Replace all fuel lines or Clean the Carb? Any help would be great!!!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 96 75 hp mercury idles but shuts off after 5 min/ primer bulb is soft

Try it again and when it starts to die pump the primer bulb. If it acts like it wants to run rebuild the fuel pump. Be sure to use an OEM kit as the check valves have changed.

CharlestonFF

Cadet

Ok I have tried that and it does run still! It runs great when wide open in the water just when you slow down and start idling it dies. I figured it would have been a fuel line. Ill try rebuilding the pump. Do you know anything about the mercury tracker motor? I am starting to read that they aren't very good!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

As with just about all outboards, it all depends on how well they were maintained.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

One would think that the only difference between the two engines would be that the cowl on the tracker would have a different decal. No reason for Merc. down grade a tracker and if they did, what would they cut?

I am inclined to the fuel pump and it may be a diaphragm or a valve leaking. Going fast vs slower means both work faster and reset faster and any leaking would not have as much time to be apparent even though you are requiring the pump to pump more fuel.

Mark