2006 Mercury 50 HP Won't start!

csims530

Recruit
I've done a search on here and I didn't find a solution to my problem. If there is already a thread for this I apologize. I have a 2006 Mercury 50 HP, serial # 1C012531 (that's the # at the top of the sticker right under where it says "serial #, but when I've searched that number on Mercury's site it says "Number not found", so I don't know). While out on the lake yesterday, my husband tried to start it so we could head back, it wouldn't start. It tries to, but it never seems to actually "catch" & turn over. My husband doesn't really know anything about boat motors so we're kind of at a loss. We thought maybe the gas gauge was not working (the odometer doesn't) & that we'd ran out of gas, but I put a couple of gallons in & it's still doing the same thing. Thanks for the help in advance!

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2006 Mercury 50 HP Won't start!

Rule out the simplest things first...
The motor may have flooded. Try to start it after letting it sit for a day. If it still does not start, then it likely was not flooded because after a day of sitting, the excess fuel would have evaporated/drained out.
Make sure the throttle is in neutral. It sounds dumb, but sometimes it looks like it's in neutral but isn't completely clicked in. The motor will not start unless in neutral, although if your motor is trying to start and not catching, this probably isn't the problem.
Make sure the lanyard is in. The motor will not start with it out. Same as with being in neutral, this probably isn't the problem because it sounds like your starter motor is engaging and trying to start the motor. Still, just rule it out before going any further. We try to troubleshoot from the least costly to the most costly things.
When you say it tries to start, that suggests that the battery is turning the starter motor. Perhaps it isn't turning it fast enough to get the motor going on its own. This could happen from a low battery, perhaps from leaving equipment on (fishfinder, radio, lights, etc) while out on the water. You could try to start it on another battery (even a car battery) or fully charge the boat battery. Also check that the battery terminals are clean and the wires are tightened down on them and making good, clean contact.
If these initial checks have failed to start the motor, then look at fuel. When you said you may have run out of fuel but then ruled it out, you may not have ruled it out yet. You may have run out of fuel and when you refueled, you may not have primed the primer bulb enough to fill the fuel/water separator, fuel lines, fuel filter and carb bowls. You have to pump the bulb until it's hard. Otherwise, you will not be getting fuel all the way to the carb bowls, where the motor actually draws its fuel from.
If priming the bulb until it's hard fails to help start the motor, then look at spark. Remove the spark plugs. Replace the rubber cap on the plugs and hold the threaded part of them onto the engine block to ground them. Do this one at a time and don't actually hold it with your fingers or you could get a shock. Turn the key while the plug is grounded against the engine block and look for a spark in the gap of the plug. You will not see it in the sun. Do this at nightfall. You should have a bright blue, strong spark in each plug. If you don't, clean the plugs and try again. If the plugs were dirty (fouled), look for a photo online of plugs that look similar and you'll have an idea of why they were fouled.
If you don't have spark in one or more plugs, then start reading up on the ignition system. If you do have spark and you've tried everything up to this point with no success, post those results. You will have to start troubleshooting the less likely, and more costly possible problems.

csims530

Recruit

Thank you Toddboat, I'm going to try the things you've suggested tomorrow, or at least the one's that I can do on my own. Some I may have to wait until my husband's off to do. LOL. I'm not really sure about doing the spark plugs without being shocked, lol, and I don't even know if I can find them for sure. I will post my findings when I have them. Thank you again!

csims530

Recruit

We're still waiting to get the battery fully charged. So we haven't really gotten anything checked out as of yet, but my husband thought maybe I should make a correction to my original post, just in case it makes a difference. When the motor stopped working it was running at the time. It had been running fine. Then it just quit and when he tried to start it back up it wouldn't turn over. Thanks, & I'll post results when we get them done.

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it overheated or was low on oil, you should have gotten an alarm. If you didn't, then it sounds like you may have run out of fuel. The gunk from the bottom of the tank could get into the motor if this was the case.
Not sure what your setup is, but you should have an external fuel/water separator on the boat. It looks like a car's oil filter. It's a screw-on filter. Remove it and dump the contents into a clear container and let it sit overnight. The container should be glass, not plastic or the fuel may eat right through it. There should be quite a bit of fuel in there (maybe as much as 12 ounces). If you find that there's only a couple ounces in there, it may be that you ran out of fuel. Look at the contents the next day. Is there a layer of water? Is there sediment at the bottom? If you don't have an external fuel/water separator, you should install one. There is also a much smaller filter inside the motor. Just follow the fuel line into the motor and it will be the first piece of equipment on the line. It is probably a see-through filter. You can remove it and check for debris. If this filter has no fuel in it, than you did run out of gas. Note how much, if any, sediment is in the filter. You can clean or replace the filter.

Last edited: