1993 2 stroke 90 hp mercury wont start

masamson

Recruit
My 1993 2 stroke 90 hp wont start! i posted a video of it on youtube IMG 0290 - YouTube this is my first boat, ive always fixed my car my self and i intend to do it for this boat. does any1 have any idea of how to get it running. 1 last question the "pee hole " on my motor only ever has water dripping out, after running it for 3 hrs ish i felt the motor and it wasnt hot at all and it was still dripping out, is this how it is supost to be?

THANKS!

Toddboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 2 stroke 90 hp mercury wont start

Check for spark. If ok, then wait a day, try to start motor again. If it starts, it may have been flooded.
To verify that it was a flooding issue, remove the plastic cover to access the carbs. Look into the carb throats while pumping the primer bulb. There should be no fuel leaking into the carb throats. If there is fuel leaking, in, then the motor is flooding due to a faulty needle/seat valve/s in the carbs.
If there were no leaks, then you may have gummed up carb jets/passages. It doesn't take much, and is a common problem after winter storage. Remove all rubber and plastic parts from the carbs and bathe them in carb cleaner for a few days. Then clean them with spray carb cleaner to clear all jets/passages. Then reassemble them, link and sync them, prime the bulb until hard, and try starting again. If it starts and runs well and you think dirty carbs were the problem, it would be a good idea to drain all of the old fuel out of the tank, lines, filters, etc., and replace it with new fuel with stabilizer added.