1980 50hp mariner idle problem

plazmore

Cadet
hi all...

I fixed my stator/trigger issues, then rebuilt the carbs...now I can't make her idle...as I lift the idle lever, the speed changes from idle to fast, instantly. and if I drop the lever all the way down, it stalls...there is not a smooth transition to high rpms...

I think I am lacking fuel at idle on the top carb. if I turn in the idle adjust screw on the bottom, all the way in, she stalls...but nothing different happens if I do the same on the top...closed, I think its idling on the fuel to the other two cylinders...

I reinspected, and all looks good...the idle hole is clear...the rebuild kit didn't come with new idle tubes, but they look okay...

before the trigger and stator wires crossed and burned, this engine ran flawlessly every time...idled perfectly...

runs fine under a load, at high speed...easily gets up on a plane...just cant idle, which makes trolling or driving in a crowd difficult...

any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated...I think I am really close to bringing her all the way back!

thanks again!