Mercury Black Max 150 trim tilt wiring question

88Glastron

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased what I believe to be a 1989 Mercury 150 Black Max. The transom bracket serial number is 0C185152. Nothing in my manual for a 1989 seems to match my motor so can someone confirm this for me? I cannot find the freeze plug with the number etched on the block. The other reason that I am writing this is that I am trying to wire up the trim tilt inside of the motor and replace the bullet connectors with a waterproof plug. My question is the wires coming from the harness are blue green black and a tan that I believe is for the temp sensor. The trim tilt wires on the motor side are green blue and tan. Does the tan plug in to black at this point? I had someone assisting me that disconnected everything while I was out buying the connector and I would like some confirmation before Installing the pins. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Black Max 150 trim tilt wiring question

Well, That serial number does match a 1989 motor. Do you have an OEM service manual or a seloc or crowley?

Tan is likely a trim gauge sender. That PTT motor should be a 3 wire, where the third wire (black) is ground. Power to the blue wire trims up, power to the green wire trims down. I recommend you test it to verify. Just jumper from the red wire (+12VDC) to either green or blue on the PTT motor and the PTT motor should run in the correct direction.