2006 Mercury Optimax 115HP DFI - 4 beep alarm then goes into gaurdian at 2000 rpm

falcon2915

Recruit
Last Wedneday I took the boat out to the lake and did some tubing with the kids and everything was fine. Then I took the boat (19' Kenner Vision Tunnel) down to Port O'Connor last weekend for a little fishing. On the way down, I went thru a very heavy rain storm. It was bad. I stopped for gas shortly after the rain stopped and noticed my hydraulic trim was running constantly raising the motor. Some kind of short in the switch. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. The next day I hooked everything back up and cycled the trim up and down. The problem had corrected itself.
I launched the boat and while I was idling waiting to dock it started beeping. 4 beeps every two min. I checked the oil level and it was fine. (I had topped it off before leaving and it hasn't been below half full since i own the boat) I powered up and brought it up to cruising speed without problem. It ran fine. Water pump has good pressure. It beeped at me throughout the day but I wasn't far from the dock and I didn't move around much. I just have analog gauges so I often felt of the water squirting out the telltale and it wasn't hot at all. By then end of the day the Guardian system had kicked in and would limit my rpm to first 4000 then 2000. If I tried to go above that it would give a constant alarm and limit me.
When I got home I read up on the problem and it shows to either be low oil or water in the fuel. I have also read that the throttle position sensor can cause problems. Anyway, I hoped to diagnose it myself as the nearest Mercury service center is 60 miles away and when I have been there in the past I wasn't too happy with the service.
For diagnostic purposes I tried jumpering the oil sensor on the tank and unplugging the fuel sensor on the VST. It still beeps, 4 beeps every 2 min. It does not have to be running to beep.
I am wondering if anyone has any other diagnostic ideas I could try, other than taking it in to the shop to hook up to the DST.

Thanks!