'95 Mariner 150 Power Trim not working, solenoids click.

JThompson75

Recruit
Last weekend everything worked fine, no sign of any pending trouble. Yesterday, went to tilt the motor, just hear solenoid click, no mater what direction I move the switch. Same thing on the switch on the throttle or the engine. Just clicks solenoid. What I have tried to diagnose it:

1. I looked for relays that I have seen mentioned in other posts and other sites, however it appears there are no relays in mine. I traced the wires from the power in, to the solenoids, and from the solenoids, straight to the trim motor. No relays.

2. Checked voltage at both solenoids, both get 12v. They are bridged together with a red hot wire jumper, so it makes sense that I get 12v on each one when I test them.

3. Used my meter to test both the green wire (trim down), and the blue wire (trim up) right before they go into the motor. Each of those wires is getting about 6v when the switch is activated. I'm not sure if that's correct, but I would think it should be getting the same 12v. All of the connections are super clean and had been covered with liquid electrical tape since forever.

4. I used jumper cables and hooked 12v power directly to the blue, then the green wire to the trim motor, and still nothing. I would have thought that getting 12v direct power to the motor wires would at lease make some type of movement or sound in the motor itself. Nothing.

I'm out of ideas so I turn to the experts here for guidance. Thanks!

RRitt

Captain
Re: '95 Mariner 150 Power Trim not working, solenoids click.

solenoids mean a 3w tri9m motor. relays mean 2w. if your black ground wire is a solid connection then it sounds like a bad motor. also, with solenoids, never ever tough green or blue to ground.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Test the voltage at the solenoids with the trim motor wires disconnected and see if you get 12 volts at those terminals. If 12 volts is present, then the trim motor or the wires to it are shorted and need to be replaced or the pump itself is in need of work. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

Haulin Bass

Cadet

I just had the same problem. My situation was the trim motor itself. the solenoids would click but no joy from the motor. The most efficent way to test the solenoids is to short out the two thredded studs on the device. One stud will either have a green wire or a blue wire on one stud and the other stud will be your positive. If you choose this method, use a pair of linemans pliers with insulated handles and lay them across the two studs on the solenoid. If nothing happens then I would look at your trim pump. If it is the pump I would recommend fixing it rather than replacing it, its not that hard to do.

JThompson75

Recruit

Thanks for the tips! Soon as it's not raining in the afternoon when I get off work I will check it out. Gotta love summer in Florida!