Mercury/Quicksilver tank pickup tube

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
I found this today and figure it can't be good. I was actually checking the float on the gauge when I found it.

It is a quicksilver 6.6 gal. I can't find any breakdowns for the tank. Only listing is for the entire tank assy.

I was thinking apiece of 3/8 fuel line just wasn't sure if the outside of fuel line was designed to be in constant contact with fuel.

Any other suggestions to replace the pickup tube? Would like to retain the strainer.

fuel-pickup-web.jpg

Fun Times

Staff member

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury/Quicksilver tank pickup tube

As the picture shows, the clear plastic line has a kink in it that restricts fuel flow and no filter. Clear line is not made for long term use with gas, and thus the kink. I have used a piece of fuel hose that is made of plastic from one of the hoses that goes from the tank to the motor and cut it to the overall length of the deep measurement of the tank and on a slight angle on the bottom end and then secured it to the gauge housing with super glue. The use a clear inline filter in the fuel hose between the tank and primer bulb to filter the fuel. Other wise find a tank that is been rusted up on the inside or damaged, and use the pickup from that tank. JMO
Oldman570