1996 Mercury 115 HP Outboard Oil Injected 2-Stroke Not Peeing.

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice
I am pretty sure the impeller bit the dust after trolling through some sandy areas yesterday, but I just wanted to check and see if there would be any CHANCE that a new prop (Turning Point 2143-2111 w/ slip ring) could cause problems with water intake/outtake? The new prop has a front ring (slip ring) that goes deeper into plastic gearcase than the old OEM prop, but it is a through-prop just like the old one. The tell-tale "pee hole" stopped peeing today on the lake so I came in right away. I have had it out 3 times before this and it worked fine. I tilted the motor up in the water The water is "Speckling" out of the exhaust hole in the prop but not gushing. I even put it in neutral and throttled it up and I could not tell if it was the exhaust spraying residual water out of the prop hole or the pump pumping. Oh, and the the water intake holes on the gearcase were submerged when I was doing this. I have a 30 day warranty on the motor and I just want to make sure it is not due to my error if they try to give me some F.U.D. about the new prop (the only thing I've changed since buying it). Thanks again for any help that you guys can provide.

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 1996 Mercury 115 HP Outboard Oil Injected 2-Stroke Not Peeing.

Okay.
A new prop should not affect intake or outtake.
Be sure the waer intakes are low enough to get the pump impellers primed. Exposing the intake screens may not be enough.
Get the engine submerged to the anti-cav plate or beyond.
Remove the tell-tale pee hose from the engine block. Start and observe water flowing out of the block hole; good, high pressure, your pee hose has a blockage; no high pressure, impellers are bad or internal water passages are blocked.
Good luck.
J

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice

Okay.
A new prop should not affect intake or outtake.
Be sure the waer intakes are low enough to get the pump impellers primed. Exposing the intake screens may not be enough.
Get the engine submerged to the anti-cav plate or beyond.
Remove the tell-tale pee hose from the engine block. Start and observe water flowing out of the block hole; good, high pressure, your pee hose has a blockage; no high pressure, impellers are bad or internal water passages are blocked.
Good luck.
J

Thank you for the reply. I have contacted the dealer where I bought the boat and the service manager is supposed to be calling me back about getting a new water pump impeller installed (if need be). I would put the muffs on the boat right now and check but I do not own a truck and can only borrow one on weekends, and silly me I parked the boat way far away from my hoses reach. Live and learn. Thanks again.

striker1211

Seaman Apprentice

[update]

I used a piece of mechanics wire and shoved it (gently) about an inch into the tell tale and she started spraying again :)