1963 Mercury 650 Restoration

KilroyWasHere

Recruit
I have been given a (from what I've been told) circa 1963 Mercury 650 running an aftermarket Jet on the lower. The previous owner had it running but it died out and he didn't feel like messing with it. After sitting for 2 years I took it in and rewired the internal and external harness with the heavy gauge battery cables. That problem solved I began working the mechanical side of the house. Replaced the timing belt made sure the #1 Piston was at TDC with the flywheel notch and magneto arrow lined up. Removed, cleaned and replaced the gaskets on the carbs as well as the fuel pumps. I have some manuals and instruction booklets regarding fine-tuning the timing advance but I don't have the gauges to do it. At this point I am able to get it started (pretty easily) by spraying seafoam the carb throats and going to WOT. From there I can back it off almost to around 3/4 throttle but any less it dies out. What I need to figure out now is getting it started without the seafoam and what adjustments I need to make to allow it to idol.

1. I replaced the Fuel tank to fuel pump fuel line, do I need to replace the others to ensure there are no pin hole vacuum leaks?

2. Detailed pictures of finely tuned and operable 60's era Merc 650s would be greatly appreciated to help me ensure all the bits and pieces 'under the hood' are where they should be.

3. I have fried and rebuilt the starter motor a few times and am waiting to find a good starter for a decent price.

4. This has been a fun project but the agony of defeat is getting to me and I need any help that anyone has to offer.