79 mercury 80hp control cables messed up?

rodney961

Recruit
Ive searched for this to no avail. I have an 18 ft v hull with a 79 merc 80 horse motor. I bought it without verifying that it ran. I tore down the carbs and cleaned them. I did a compression check ( cold) and had readings in the 120's with about a 12% difference from best to worst cylinder. I replaced the one vaccuum line that I saw had some cracks. New plugs, new gas. I had a terrible time getting the thing to even idle without dying below 1k rpms, but I think Ive managed to get to that point. I could not under any circumstances get it into gear without it dying every time. Started out with the idle mix screws at 1 turn out. Played with about every possible combo in 1/8th increments, still would never go into gear without dying. I finally decided to see if i could manipulate the spark advance and throttle levers by hand as well as the throttle lever on the control, all at the same time.( I had the control box unbolted and had it in my lap while sitting beside the motor. Doing this I was able to get it into gear . Once I had it in gear and basically idling along, I could run it from the control only. Once It was in gear I attempted to re adjust the idle mixture screws by turning them counterclockwise waiting for it to stumble. It wouldnt do it and I had them backed out several turns. I finally screwed them in clockwise till it would stumble, then backed them out a half turn. I know this isnt proper procedure, but proper procedure didnt seem to do what it was supposed to. I took it out on the lake and opened it up and it ran quite well in my opinion.
So My problem is getting it in and out of gear without having to manipulate levers in just the right order. It seems that the lower cable puts the boat in gear , but the upper one does not move the throttle lever until you have the throttle lever moved way forward. it seemed that when I was doing it by hand, Id put it in gear with the control and at the same time advance the spark and throttle levers almost in unison to get it into gear without dying. Operating it from the control lever obviously does not do this. Is this a cable adjustment issue? I dont understand how the levers are all supposed to work together anyway, so Im having trouble figuring out how its supposed to be. Im not having to rev it way out to get it in gear. Im assuming im getting it into gear at about 800. Im thinking the stalling isnt a carb issue , but a control cable issue, but i could be wrong. Any advice from some of you experts? this is getting very frustrating. Thanks much

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 mercury 80hp control cables messed up?

Well, I think a link and synch is in order. After that, use a brand new 50::1 mix and adjust the carb idle mixtures precisely. You seem pretty close now. In time you will learn to drop the motor in gear, heistate 1/4 sec and then give it a little bit of throttle to keep it from stalling. Of course, the correct thing to do is to adjust it properly.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Bump ^1 on Chris. The settings really need to be done while the motor is in a test tank or even a barrel of water, if not on the water at a dock on the trailer. On muffs there is no backpressure on the exhaust and the motor has to be in forward gear to get the settings correct. Then while on the water running use a buddy and a timing light to check the WOT timing. Test tanks and test wheels are the best as there is no danger of taking a swim for the WOT testing. On the control not moving like you believe it should. The commander control will move quite some way in order to make sure the motor is in gear before it gives it the gas. This way the clutch dogs are fully engaged and not damaging them from not being fully engaged. JMO
Oldman570

Last edited:

rodney961

Recruit

I appreciate the advice so far guys. I realize that this must be done on the water, because on the muffs everything works perfect. I dont have access to a test tank or a barrel big enough, so the lake 20 miles away is my only option. From what you guys are telling me, Im thinking its less of a cable adjustment issue and more of a carb adjustment issue now, but I just cant believe i never got it to go into gear at idle with all the idle screw adjustments that i tried.I will be the first to admit Im a total amatuer when it comes to outboards, so i dont doubt your guys' word. I will go through a link and sync and see where I get. thanks for the help so far.