1989 mariner 90 ho tilts up while in operation and sometimes when I twist the key

chrisw64

Cadet
I am new to the trim system on outboards but it doesn't look that difficult. I have recently been experiencing the motor tilts up while running the motor and sometimes when I twist the key to start the motor. I was thinking loose wiring but I have yet to locate any. I couldn't understand why one system would effect another unless its a short somewhere. Has anyone experienced the problem and what was the remedy.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 mariner 90 ho tilts up while in operation and sometimes when I twist the key

It sure sounds like the trim switch is going bad or a short in the wiring from the motor to the control. You can unplug the cable from the motor and use a jumper wire from the battery to the battery wire in the plug and then meter the rest of the wires with the key turned off and this will tell if there is a short in the cable. Then turn the key on and see where you get voltage on the other wires. JMO
Oldman570

chrisw64

Cadet
Re: 1989 mariner 90 ho tilts up while in operation and sometimes when I twist the key

It sure sounds like the trim switch is going bad or a short in the wiring from the motor to the control. You can unplug the cable from the motor and use a jumper wire from the battery to the battery wire in the plug and then meter the rest of the wires with the key turned off and this will tell if there is a short in the cable. Then turn the key on and see where you get voltage on the other wires. JMO
Oldman570

Found the problem. Wire from the ignition had shorted out trim wire in the harness. It helped when I was working on it at night because I probably wouldn't have seen the sparks under the center counsel