Need advice for tiller to remote/console for a 25 hp Merc

wolfee

Seaman
Hi there,
I'm in the middle of replacing the transom on my Sea Nymph "Fishing Machine" and since the motor is off I'm wondering how difficult it would be to switch to a remote control/console? I found a conversion kit on ********** but I really couldn't tell if the kit would work for my motor and it didn't even really tell you what was included in the kit. I also wanted to add a remote trim/tilt but that seems ungodly overpriced to put on a 25 hp. Researching switching to electric start also resulted in even more confusion. Where would be the best place to get the correct conversion kit and a decent how-to? Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0014_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0014_640x480.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need advice for tiller to remote/console for a 25 hp Merc

Depending on the year of the motor, it is at times more costly to convert everything from a tiller manual start than to trade or buy another motor already setup with all the items you want. I have done a few of the conversions and it can cost $500.00 + just for the electric start and console units and parts not including time. Some of the motors will need a different transom/tube bracket or a CNC tilt trim unit for that at another few hundred bucks more. When you get all done figuring up the cost, it is really cheaper to just buy another motor already setup. JMO
Oldman570

wolfee

Seaman

Dang. I was afraid of that. It's an 86' (pretty sure) 25hp. Thanks for the quick reply though.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The salvage yard listing here on Iboats fourm might get you the parts you would need cheaper, but the last ones I found were $250.00 + shipping for the console parts, 200.00 for the electric start+ shipping, and %$350.00 + shipping for the CNC tilt unit. And that was doing everything myself. The parts were all used and you will need a factory service manual if doing the work yourself at more $$$.
Less costly to buy another newer motor and sell the one you have or keep just for a backup motor. JMO
Oldman570