Kill Switch on a Mercury

croft adams

Cadet
I just bought my first real boat and have no idea what Im doing. It ran when I bought it but the throttle cable was broken. I changed the throttle cable but when I attached it in the control box the kill switch was lose and it didnt look like all the pieces were there. The control box is a Quicksilver commander and the motor is a early 80's 80 hp mercury. A guy at the boat ramp looked at it and said it wasnt getting a spark, it does discharge a small spark. I changed the plugs and cleaned the starter connections and the coil packs and the only thing that looks odd is the kill switch it was a metal dip switch in a black housing but there is no way to hold it in place. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kill Switch on a Mercury

It would be best to post a picture of the control box. If that motor has 4 coils, then grounding the blask/yellow wire will kill the spark. Is that the color wire that the "kill switch" you mention is connected?

croft adams

Cadet

quicksilver.jpg this is a picture of the same control box. The kill switch has like a black and blue wire on the top and a black and yellow on the bottom. So if the black and yellow cannot be grounded if I disconnect the yellow wire should it fire if thats the problem?

croft adams

Cadet

To clarify there are two wires going to the same pole on the kill switch one is black and one is blue.