Please help 1990 Mercury 100hp Hits RPM wall of 3000

Good evening,
My mercury 100HP will run just fine in the water with a 17P 3 blade merc stainless prop all day and has enough power to push the boat around up to about 25-30mph. The problem is I go full Throttle and it just stops at 3000. The boat use to use a 19P and run up to 5200rpm just fine then one day it stop and would only do 3000rpm. I ran seafoam creep through the motor today due to running the boat for the last few months at a max of 3000rpm. The problem happened and I noticed there was a little square brick on the side of the motor that was melted with three leads on it two yellow wires from the old stator came to it and one gray wire for the tach and a red wire to the battery. I replaced that and the stator all at the same time thinking that might of been a problem. Turned out it wasn't and now I have a new stator and rectifier, So after cleaning the engine out it now idles better then ever before but I still have the same problem. I will be replacing the fuel filters due to them being all gummed up. I am turning to you all before I end up with something new thrown at this problem. the other thing is we put spark tester lights on all the cylinders today and they all show spark. So please any help would be great seems to be a big problem out there with the switch boxes but that's a pricey place to start. last thing when cleaning the motor today if we sprayed the cleaner in the bottom two cylinders it would pick up RPM it sounded like.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please help 1990 Mercury 100hp Hits RPM wall of 3000

Don't mean to be a wise a__, but have you tried a second tach?

What was the speed when doing 5200 rpm?

I was wondering if anyone has seen a bad rectifier cause this problem.

cobra1476

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Plug wires?

Had the same problem a while back on an old boat. did everything I could and decided to tech it to a mechanic. He found the problem within mins. There was a small white dot on a wire. the dot was a small hole and it would actually arc on higher loads (above 3000rpm).

Last edited:

Ok I will check that tonight along with removing the rectifier. So after you replaced the wires it would allow you to get back up to above 3000. So you boat would it run just fine up to 3000rpm?

I need to build a DVA adapter but I dont have any plans on how to make them can someone that has the plans post them ?

So Today took my fluke and checked the voltage. everything had voltage only thing I found was my rectifier was bad so I removed it for the time being until I can mount a new one. The boat seemed to run the same 30mph as before just couldn't tell the rpm and then I vapor locked. The boat would run just fine until I give it 100% throttle then the fuel ball would collapse and the boat would come to a stop. This is a new thing for the boat. It has never done this before. I tried and open the cap to see if that was causing the problem but the ball didnt allow me to make it firm. So back to square one again.

Luckymann77

Seaman Apprentice

Debris being picked up from the tank???
Bad primer bulb???? best guess...
Check valves in the fuel pump bad??? second best guess...
Have you rebuilt the fuel pump???
Checked compression???

Luckymann77

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check the tank vent, see if its clear.try a portable tank see if that works or just unscrew the gas cap and see if it runs better.if the fuel bulb collapses the fuel pump is creating a vacuum in the tank.you have a venting problem.

So I ran the boat down the river without the rectifier to see if there was any change and still vapor locked even with the gas cap off which is leading me to think I might have a plug at the pickup somehow.

So was looking at all the wiring from the stator. My two yellow wires come back .4oms and then I noticed my grn and grn/wht go to the adapter which makes it blue and blue/white, Well on the Switch box blue was to blue and blue/white was to red white no clue in the world why that is. any ideas? and with .4 between the yellow is that bad even though it puts out 14VAC?

Found why my Merc was sypher locking. It was caused by the fuel line I unhooked to put it in a 1gallon gas can mixed with seafoam. The Liner came apart and was all bunched up inside the center of the fuel line. Still waiting to find out if anyone knows would having the blue/white line from the stator adapter hooked up to the red/white spot on the switch box stop the engine from running correctly. And lastly I found the stator is now showing 30VAC on the two yellow lines when unhooked from the rectifier which is new since before it was only showing 14VAC.

Last edited: