1986 Mercury 115 Horse Inline 6cyl. Bogs out sometimes

tlamos

Cadet
I'am at my witts end with this motor, can anybody help?
Had a couple electrical parts replaced and motor seemed fine,I could back off the throttle and put it to wot and it was fine took gas alright.But if you was to idle down for a minute or so then push it to wot it would die out,then it took awhile playing with it to be able to take off again.I'am so stumped I have no clue on what to do.I had 2 electrical parts installed I thought that was going to fix my problem but it did non,any ideas from anyone. Also is there a way to test Stater and the 2 brains?

Please Help Terry

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Mercury 115 Horse Inline 6cyl. Bogs out sometimes

I'am at my witts end with this motor, can anybody help?
Had a couple electrical parts replaced and motor seemed fine,I could back off the throttle and put it to wot and it was fine took gas alright.But if you was to idle down for a minute or so then push it to wot it would die out,then it took awhile playing with it to be able to take off again.I'am so stumped I have no clue on what to do.I had 2 electrical parts installed I thought that was going to fix my problem but it did non,any ideas from anyone. Also is there a way to test Stater and the 2 brains?

Please Help Terry

Well I just recently purchased a 1983 tower of power. Started fine, idled all day, crack throttle and hold on, but just put it in gear and try to approach the dock or the trailer-sputter, sputter, shimmy, dead. Checked the carb settings-follow manual procedure, still same symptoms, did a couple cranks on the idle/throttle screw and purrrrrrrrrsssss like a kitten. Do these checks with the boat still secure to the trailer, back boat down into water far enough so engine can be lowered into proper position. Just make sure your boat is secure to the trailer(transom straps in place). It's hard to completely understand what is going on based on a couple of your statements repeating. Are you saying that you can crack it to WOT and she funs fine, but as soon as you bring her back down to idle or low throttle she dies? Did you say she starts up fine or do you have to choke and crank on her for a bit? All these things can help folks better understand what you are dealing with.

On another note-check basic cheap things first (spark plugs, gas lines). Other than the basic carb adjustments I would save yourself time, headache unecessary $$ and take it to a professional. They can do all the quick checks. Yeah it might cost you $200-$300, but in the long run you could end up spending way more than that on things you wouldn't have had to do. I am speaking from experience on that.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Mercury 115 Horse Inline 6cyl. Bogs out sometimes

Terry, First of all that motor has no brains. It has two switchboxes, three triggers and six coils.

BigPoppa Dog is recommending you richen the carb idle mixture slightly. It is a good idea.