1971 Mercury 500 50HP saga continues

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice
Have gotten the merc to run on the lake a few times, and after 12 years of sitting idle, we're starting to see things like fuel pump diaphragm hard and cracked, rebuilt fuel pump, now leaking water above number 1 spark plug, mechanic says the gasket underneath the cover is probably old and deteriorated so that is next to be replaced, he said it wouldn't hurt the engine but something that we needed to do ......hope he's right it won't hurt the engine.....throttle cable linkage needs replaced as the plastic piece that locks the cable broke (again brittle plastic). I"m wondering if I'm going to continue to run into things like this....Does anyone have any sage advice....when it's on the lake and runs it really works well, just wondering if I how long I should plow money into it.....have about 600.00 in it (new control, cables, rebuild carbs, rewired, new water pump kit, new fuel pump kit......any advice????? LOL

waflyboy

Cadet
Re: 1971 Mercury 500 50HP saga continues

Running a '76 Mercury 500 myself. Did the fuel pumps, carbs, and fuel lines last year. Recently found that I need to replace a lower unit oil seal. Started to do that job and discovered my prop is stuck on the shaft. Dealing with that now....

It sucks to miss some time on the water because of mechanical problems, but three reasons convince me to keep this old motor:
1) the price of a new one (dang, those things are expensive!)
2) the fear that a newer used unit will manifest it's own share of problems
3) maybe I'm a sick puppy, but I kinda like working on it

Besides, once I get that oil seal fixed, it's practically new, right? No more problems for a while, I'm sure... ;)

bgc

Ensign

You ONLY have 600.00 in it :faint2:..........I had more than that on my last parts order.......

Seriously runnin Old Mercs is pricy, I do it for the love of it. They're a ROYAL pain in the *****, parts are expensive, require expensive speciality tools, adjusting requires an $80.00 manual.......... But when she lights up and is screaming past the huge OMC's, runnin like a scared dog, I all comes into a greater perspective.

"Johns Old Mercury's" is a great site for resources to keep her runnin like a top. Don't be afraid to ask questions.....Unless you are taking the boat into the rivers delta, for the first time, to make adjustments, after a rebuild, with all the family packed in during heavy surf....

Pics are worth a 1000's words. I have found another use for the grocery money, I keep my Old Mercs runnin......
IMG_2651_zps057c6731.jpg

Here is my 1963 500.....

Waterskiing_zpsb062d2fa.jpg

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

WOW great pics and thanks for all the sage advice....I am really hooked on the 500 50hp on the duck boat. It was my father-in-laws and there are a lot of memories around that motor, this week we took it to Spinney Mountain Reservoir in Colorado, with the wife and grandson.....he caught his first northern pike 28 1/2 inches and 5 lb 11 oz. The look on his face was worth twice what we have in the motor....btw it ran like a top and we screamed back to the dock when the weather came in. Creating some memories for the young lad. And today wife caught her first 20" rainbow. Going to keep the beast running. Thanks again for the pics!

bgc

Ensign

^^^^^^That is what boatin is all about! ^^^^^^^^
Happy times on the water!

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

Running a '76 Mercury 500 myself. Did the fuel pumps, carbs, and fuel lines last year. Recently found that I need to replace a lower unit oil seal. Started to do that job and discovered my prop is stuck on the shaft. Dealing with that now....

It sucks to miss some time on the water because of mechanical problems, but three reasons convince me to keep this old motor:
1) the price of a new one (dang, those things are expensive!)
2) the fear that a newer used unit will manifest it's own share of problems
3) maybe I'm a sick puppy, but I kinda like working on it

Besides, once I get that oil seal fixed, it's practically new, right? No more problems for a while, I'm sure... ;)

Thanks for the advice! Seems like its one more little thing but I think I have it down to three minor issues...but this week it ran like a top and really ran well, the fuel pump kit improved it 100%. Luckily the prop on this boat although it hadn't been off in 12 years slide right off, so I was lucky in that regard.
Thanks again for the advice....I love the sound of the old Merc at WOT!!

bgc

Ensign

Ya got a pic of your Old Merc?

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

Ya got a pic of your Old Merc?

I spoke to soon, went to lake today and Merc wouldn't run longer than 30 seconds. Wouldn't start and when it did it won't idle.. I think it is a fuel issue but open to suggestions.. I checked the fuel pump, new fuel lines are connected correctly and the diaphragm and check valves looks good (put them in last week) and the check valves are in the correct positions. Changed out the fuel line connector (female) on the gas tank side. Seems there is a fuel problem because when it runs it really runs well, but when it doesnt' it really doesn't. Going back to mechanic on Thursday for more troubleshooting.....

skaggst

Seaman Apprentice

When the fuel lines were replaced recently the mechanic used standard fuel lines and hose clamps.....will this work?