Please Help Me, 1971 mercury 9.8 Model 110

wagsack

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 1971 Mercury 9.8 Model 110 on my 12' mirro craft boat. This motor was a barn find has been in storage for over 20 years. Got the motor home and changed out all the fuel lines, all the wires, and the gear oil. Removed the carb and cleaned, didn't pull it apart just soaked it in carb x. Started it up at home and it worked great. Took it out to the lake sunday and it fired up on the 10 th pull, after letting it warm up for about 10 mins i put it in gear and started out of the five mile an hour zone but once i gave it gas it bogged down like it wasn't getting gas and then died. Two pulls and i had it started again but as soon as i gave it gas it did it again. It idels great but once in gear i have nothing so i Called it a day and went home.

Once home i started messing with it and noticed that i have alot of gas coming out the carb down into the housing. Not sure on my next step do i rebuild the carb. or fuel pump or both. Could it be the timing?

Any pointers and help is much appreciated. Thanks for looking

Chris

fromcarsToboats

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Please Help Me, 1971 mercury 9.8 Model 110

Hello,

I have a 1971 Mercury 9.8 Model 110 on my 12' mirro craft boat. This motor was a barn find has been in storage for over 20 years. Got the motor home and changed out all the fuel lines, all the wires, and the gear oil. Removed the carb and cleaned, didn't pull it apart just soaked it in carb x. Started it up at home and it worked great. Took it out to the lake sunday and it fired up on the 10 th pull, after letting it warm up for about 10 mins i put it in gear and started out of the five mile an hour zone but once i gave it gas it bogged down like it wasn't getting gas and then died. Two pulls and i had it started again but as soon as i gave it gas it did it again. It idels great but once in gear i have nothing so i Called it a day and went home.

Once home i started messing with it and noticed that i have alot of gas coming out the carb down into the housing. Not sure on my next step do i rebuild the carb. or fuel pump or both. Could it be the timing?

Any pointers and help is much appreciated. Thanks for looking

Chris

really you should know better. it sat for twenty years. Take the carbs off clean them really good. replace the fuel pump, it's a really good idea. The gas is leaking out cause all the gaskets are dried up from sitting so long without fuel keeping them swelled. It should have points so you should check them and all the things that time can mess up. Not to worry I did the same thing, but i was stranded on the other side of the lake i was in.

wagsack

Recruit
Re: Please Help Me, 1971 mercury 9.8 Model 110

Ok wanted to update from my last (or first post) Thanks to cartoboats for the help. I rebuilt the fuel pump and cleaned the carb all the way this time. Put it back together and was still have the same problem until i noticed that the idel screew was all the way in backed it out two and a 1/4 turns, started the motor put it in gear and it ran great. After a little adjustment to the screew it seems to be working great now. Going camping at clear lake this weekend with my kids so i will get to test it out on the boat.

Thank again

Chris