Poppet Valve Cover

Capitols

Recruit
1991 115HP 2 stroke 4 cycle outboard needs the whole poppet valve cover and entire assembly restored. My biggest problem is previous owner had the boat in salt water environment and it appears the 4 or 5 cover screws are all corroded. I have already sprayed some petroleum base to soak and it's not working..I am only stripping the bolt head. I heard tapping on the screw head with plastic mallet and using a torch to apply some heat. I have only tried the spray but at this I wanted ask the experts for some feedback on how should I carefully approach this issue. I have the parts coming this week and this is only thing holding me back. Thank you any advice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Poppet Valve Cover

clear away anything that can burn, and use the torch to heat the bolt heads. Remove the heat and spray with penetrating oil. If you do it right, the cooling metal will draw the oil in. Gently use a hand impact driver to try to remove the bolts as well. Again the impact will help pull the penetrating oil into the bolts. Take your time, and don't break the bolts. After a couple of sessions, and if your God loves you, it should come loose.

Capitols

Recruit
Re: Poppet Valve Cover

Thank you for your advise. I know this will be a challenge for me because I'm posting for help. This is just a great example to flush out your engine after each round. The poppet cover has a corroded hole where thermostat housing sits, this led me to investigate and I have decided to change everything inside the cover. I really don't want this turn into a big mess and dig a bigger money hole. I will be positive about this and thank the Lord giving this opportunity to fix my outboard and enjoy life.