1998 Mercury Optimax Engine light turned on after changing the fuel filter

bobbo333

Recruit
I just changed the fuel filter with a sensor on my 1998 mercury optimax and the next time i went to start it the check engine light remained on. I contacted mercury and they said it is either water in the gas (gas isnt even a week old..) or a loose connection or the sensor is bad. I put back on the old pump and filter and the problem still occurred. i cleaned the connector of any oxidation and tightened it up for a better fit. Any idea of what maybe going on? I just got the boat and do not want to damage the motor. Thanks for any help!

sidenberg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1998 Mercury Optimax Engine light turned on after changing the fuel filter

I am assuming you are talking about the water/fuel separator filter? Is the sensor a new one? You say you just got the boat so is it possible there wa quite a bit of water already in the tank? You could siphon gas out and take a look? If you are unsure of the age of the fuel it is not a bad idea to remove all the old gas anyway. However if you are sure there is no water in your fuel than either you have not installed the sensor properly or the sensor is bad. But the when there is water in the fuel the alarms system should beep 4 times and the water in fuek light is on. Just a check engine light would be something else. What is lighting up and is there any beeping or horns on your motor. What is the horsepower?