Mercury Mercury Sport Jet xr2 175hp

killerbuzz

Recruit
I've read a few posts on here that dealt with similar issues to mine, the dreaded 4 beeps.

I have a '98 Boston Whaler Rage (15') with the Mercury Sport Jet XR2 175hp. It runs like a dream but I can't seem to get the 4 beeps (oil related) to go away.

To date I've:
1.) Verified there is oil in both tanks and that the caps are on tight
2.) Replaced the top cap including sensor and float.
3.) Taken the lower end apart to make sure the drive shaft (proper name for it?) and impeller were in good working order. I re-lubricated everything when I put it back together.
4.) Changed the gear oil

Im some other posts I saw mentions of bad electronics board. (ECM?) That would suck as it's roughly $600.

Again... the engine runs like a dream, but I don't want to cause any damage. While we're at it, the oil had a little (I considered it normal) bit of metal shavings. I mean very minimal but I thought I'd share incase it brings another symptom to light. I could pay someone to look at it, but other posts also talk about terrible results and simply put, I'm hands on. I like to know my engine.

Rage Jet

Cadet
Re: Mercury Mercury Sport Jet xr2 175hp

If you saw metal shavings, you need to make sure you put a heavier oil in your jet housing. I would suggest lucas. Make sure you change your oil every year also.

The shavings are coming from your gear shaft.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Is the oil pump turning ?---------------Need to verify oil delivery from the pump.---Run on 50:1 while checking pump output.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there Rage Jet, thanks for helping out Killerbuzz, it really is very much appreciated.

If possible though, please keep an eye on the date of the thread and also try to check on the last time the OP was online by clicking on his username then click on view profile to see if it's worth your time and effort to reply to someone that has not been online for some time. In this case, Killer has not been back since day one. His Last Activity was July 15th, 2013 12:16 PM while his Join Date was July 15th, 2013.;) Thanks again.:)
iboats Moderator team