1966 Mercury 500 / opinion on Hydrofoils

joeaverage9

Cadet
Im trying to get some info on Hydrofoils for my 66' Merc 500 thats on a 66' 15ft fiberglass skiboat. I read some forums and some are for or against them. My issue is when pulling a heavy tubber. It takes me a while to get on plain. The boat is in great shape but people talk about the extra stress placed on the transom. Also, what are smart tabs amd are they as affective as a Hydrofoil? Ive seen alot of different brands and designs of hydrofoils and I dont know enough to choose the best performing one.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1966 Mercury 500 / opinion on Hydrofoils

I doubt that a 50hp with a hydrofoil could put enough stress on a healthy transom to hurt it!

However, there is a caveat against a hydrofoil; they do put a lot of stress on the anti-ventilation plate. I had one on my Inline Six and never had any problems, but the plate is a bit thinner on a 50hp.

I'm sure you realize your 50hp is pretty marginal for watersports in the first place. A propeller with 2" less pitch might help the motor spin up better.

Here's a tip for you that's cheap and easy to do and may help a lot: drill ventilation holes in the prop.

Exhaust gasses will spill out of these holes and over the blades of the prop, under acceleration.

This causes a "controlled ventilation" which unloads the prop a bit, allowing the motor to get up in its powerband faster.

Once underway, the exhaust is sucked out the end of the prop via venturi action and any slight amount of exhaust gasses that go thru the holes does nothing.

Note that you can get the holes so large that the prop will never "hook up". That's not good!

Probably 3/16" holes is as much as you'd want to go with your 50hp. If that doesn't help, time to re-prop!!

I've attached an OMC service bulletin which details where to drill the holes. If you don't like 'em, you can pop some rubber plugs in the holes. Some hi-performance props come with plugs to install when you don't want to use the feature.

HTH..........ed

Attachments

• Prop Ventilation Holes Info_OMC.jpg
    Prop Ventilation Holes Info_OMC.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Prop Ventilation Holes Info.jpg
    Prop Ventilation Holes Info.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 2

joeaverage9

Cadet

Interesting Ed. I will try drilling the holes out. I have thought about a new prop and have been doing some research about them and learning about pitch. I guess I can relate it to changing gear ratios on a car. Do you have any advice for what pitch or prop i should be looking for? Where is a good place for me to purchase one for my older outboard. Thanks for the info.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If was thinking about pulling tubers with my 500, the first thing I would do is upgrade to a larger motor. As far as I know other than a used prop on CL/ebay, your only choice for a new prop with 11 splines is here: Mercury Outboard Boat Propellers - propco marine boat propellers

BTW - I'm not a fan of the foils.

Last edited:

bgc

Ensign

I'm going to second GA here. If the foils worked, Don't you think the manufactures would put them on? After all, isn't their business to sell performance? Senselessly drilling a 48 year old motor isn't going to help you pull
I have a 500 on a 15' aluminum runabout. I added all the weight on the boat and ordered the appropriate prop and a couple more(cause the Admiral was gone...for the weekend)

The total weight of a 15' Starcraft Jet Star with dry foam...
440# boat
100# in add-on's
130# outboard
55# group 27 battery
30# 5 gallons fuel
70# in gear
50# new seats
This totals 875 pounds without me in the boat. The guide indicates a 12 pitch, 3 blade aluminum prop. I ski with this rig so adding 400 pounds of people and trying to get a skier up, I ordered a 10 and 11 prop.

Old Mercury Propeller Application Guide -- Mastertech Marine

The props from PropCo are good and for your engine @120.00, best money you'll spend. Oh, going too large will only be disappointing, as the motor will not be able to turn it.

emckelvy

Commander

Interesting Ed. I will try drilling the holes out. I have thought about a new prop and have been doing some research about them and learning about pitch. I guess I can relate it to changing gear ratios on a car. Do you have any advice for what pitch or prop i should be looking for? Where is a good place for me to purchase one for my older outboard. Thanks for the info.

Best thing to do is to see what pitch you already have. Check the body of the prop, if it's an OEM Merc prop it'll have a string of numbers like "47-######A12". The last number is the pitch of the prop. I expect you wouldn't have more than a 12" pitch on it now, 'cause a 50hp probably wouln't pull a steeper pitch on that size of boat.

If it's an aftermarket prop, pull the propnut and thrust washer, usually right on the face where the thrust washer sits, will be a string of numbers, most times ending in pitch but sometimes just the mfr's part # for the prop. That can help you look up the prop pitch.

My good friend used to slalom ski on a small boat with a 50hp, if I recall he told me that he had a 10x10 prop (that is, 10" diameter and 10" pitch). Said the motor was screaming at its max rpm but would pull him just fine.

Probably you're gonna have to do something like that to get the max performance out of your motor.

Question, how does it take off with just you in the boat? Does it still struggle to get on plane, and does it sound like it's making good rpm at full throttle?

It'd be great if you had a tach, since that's the most accurate way of telling what's happening. The thing is, if you're already "overpropped" even with minimal load, that's gonna skew the prop selection.

In other words, you potentially may have to drop down 4" in pitch to get the performance you want.

But maybe it just runs out adequately as is, with light load. Then, perhaps the 2" drop in pitch would do.

If you are propped pretty close already, the "Holey Prop" trick will definitely make a difference.

It's a great way to gain more hole-shot performance with a marginally-powered boat.

Heck, I've even used the trick on my old 1350 Merc, you shoulda seen the way it took off! :0

Not to mention the old Merc 700-Six Dockbuster (Direct Reversing) I had almost 30 years ago, on a 13-1/2' Sea-King runabout.

With a Holey Prop it would rip my buddy out of the water on single ski and still go 35 mph. Not bad for a $25 motor!!! Hard to find 'em like that nowadays! Motors were cheap and gas was cheaper! But we sure had a lot of fun for little $$$.

The sport is more expensive now but the old motors just keep on running. Congrats for keeping one of the Classics alive!

Cheers........ed

joeaverage9

Cadet

Maybe I should get a tach before changing the prop. I'm not familiar enough with the motor to estimate the rpms. The boat does fine getting up on plain with 3 people inside and with just me it flies out of the water. I'll check the pitch of the one I have on there now today and maybe keep the bigger tubberz on the dock for now. Lol. Drilling holes for a hydrofoil on this beautiful motor kinda makes me worried. Last thing I want to do is modify it. I think it looks perfect like it is. The boaters at the boat ramps are really impressed by the boat. I'm trying to keep her as original as possible.

bgc

Ensign

With the right prop, she'll fly out of the water with 3 people and over rev with just you. I have a couple props for this reason. The smaller the boat and motor combination the more sensitive your setup will be.

joeaverage9

Cadet

Good stuff BGC. I'll be looking at props today and see what I find. Thank you for the info fellows. I'll keep you posted.

emckelvy

Commander

If it'll plane out smartly with 3 persons aboard, you probably don't need a smaller-pitched prop. I'd say it's propped pretty well for everything but the big inner tube.

So I'd think that the ventilation holes would be perfect for your situation. The holes will let your Good Ol' Classic Four spin up a little higher on takeoff and I bet that's all she needs.

IMHO...........ed

Luckymann77

Seaman Apprentice

If you want to try a foil I highly recommend "The Edge" by Cobra Marine...
It's a solid metal (Galveneal, Aluminum, or Stainless Steel) plate that attaches to the UNDERSIDE of your cavitation plate and DOES NOT stress the thin wings on your motor.

I had one on a Skeeter bassboat with an 80 Merc and LOVED IT !!!

Eliminated high speed porpoising, on plane MUCH quicker, like adding power steering to your boat, even flattened the wake for more enjoyable tubing/skiing experience for the kiddos...

Can be had online from a couple e-tailers for about $70 shipped.

Enjoy !!!

joeaverage9

Cadet

Thanks luckyman I'll check it out. Replying to the prop # I found this.... 1072 48-33772 a1-10 quicksilver. So I'm guessing its a 10 pitch. I'm going to drill the holes in the prop tomorrow and see what happens out on the lake this weekend. The kids( and grownups) are counting on me. BTW..I Live20mins from Sanford,fl and I'm already tired of hearing about the Zimmerman's case. Let it go already!