idling problem 1984 mercury 200 blackmax

logger don

Recruit
Recently purchased this motor and it appears it's been tinkered with a bunch. Haven't been able to get it to idle properly. Removed carburetors & cleaned. The float levels were set all over the place - I just guessed at setting them. Where should they be? :confused: Some of the vacuum lines were not attached, so I cleaned those up. I synchronized the throttle plates and adjusted the oil pump. It seems to run better but it still stalls out after 10-20 seconds. :facepalm: I noticed that the thermostats have been punched out so the motor always runs cold & just received new thermostats to try. Should this help? Also, has anyone ever had an issue with the flywheel seal suckin air and causing idle problems? Appreciate any help. I'm a blackmax newbe.

Last edited:

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: idling problem 1984 mercury 200 blackmax

Im sorry man, I have a 85 Blackmax 150 with the exact issues, I'm in for any tips. Does your idle change when you open the clamshell hoods up? Mine increases a bit.

logger don

Recruit
Re: idling problem 1984 mercury 200 blackmax

don here
the guy that I got the 2oo from said he replaced the stator because it started to run on 3 cyls. I thought the stator was the charging system? is the trigger system the thing that controls when it sparks? are there 2 trigger units in my engine? If my trigger unit was bad could it be giving me this idle problem I'm having?