97 mariner 50hpi fourstroke ran out of oil

saltlifer

Cadet
Good afternoon all.i am consideri.g purchase of a 50hp fourstroke that ran out of oil.the motor is very clean and appears to be well cared for.my question is is this motor worth the rebuild and will i need a ton of special tools to do it.i am an ase certified auto mechanic of twenty years and fairly knowledgable about two stroke outboards but not four strokes.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 97 mariner 50hpi fourstroke ran out of oil

Unless you know something about the engine which you are not saying, why would you want to risk it? Have you seen the engine, is it seized or turning, done a compression test? How well cared for was it, if they ran it out of oil?

There are some special tools and I can send you the service manual and parts list if you PM me with an email address and s/n if you have it. Each section of the manual will outline the special tools necessary.

Gerry

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, how was it run out of oil? Did it have a leak?

saltlifer

Cadet

I will be going to see the motor tomorrow after work.it belongs to a friend of a friend. He stated that the motor was checked out and fluids changed.and said the motor "blew up" on the second trip out.oil was checked and it was empty.i will definatly repost tomorrow evening to let you know what i found out about this motor.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Unless you know what you're doing, and it sounds like your outboard experience is almost nil, probably best to stay away from it.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Run, run quickly !

saltlifer

Cadet

Are they that complex?or is it a parts/price issue.i have been into any four stroke marine engines, but perfomed all the rebuilds top and bottom on my yamaha race bikes.i can get this motor for under 100bucks so if worst case is present i could part it out for a small profit.

carholme

Rear Admiral

You said you were going to report back with additional information. What did you find out about the engine. If you have been to see it, what does 'blew up" mean. It is difficult for people to offer an opinion if you are not going to say anything.

Gerry

saltlifer

Cadet

Against the better judgement of some i purchased the motor.got it home removed the lower unit and side covers.the motor will turn but with much resistance.the paint on the cylinders looks good so i dont think it overheated.i will try to get the porewhead removed tonight.

carholme

Rear Admiral

As you are not going to answer any of the questions asked, there is not much help to offer. As you have already purchased the engine, good luck with it.

Gerry

saltlifer

Cadet

Sorry i just picked it up last night.i was planning to buy it anyway for parts.but what i was wanting know is if anyone has gone into one of these engines that had been oil starved.the seller stated that the motor was serviced at the beginning of spring and he never checked the oil.when it quit he said there was no oil in it.when i picked it up the paint on the powerhead does not look burnt.and it the crankshaft will rotate but requires much force.i will be removeing the powerhead this week to disassemble and asses the damage.

saltlifer

Cadet

.What special tools are required?i have several different pullers and about 60k wrapped up in my toolbox at work.i also need to know where to get a manual that shows tourqes,and tolerences to remove the crank and head.any help would be greatly appreciated