1989 Mercury power trim help

fishaholic1991

Recruit
I just bought this boat and took it out for the first time the a couple of weeks ago. Eeverything worked fine. When we put it in on Monday everything worked until we got back to the dock. the power trim would not work. After some fiddleing we found that if we pushed on the top of the motor and pressed the swich it would raise. Once we got the boat on the trailer, every thing worked fine again. I launched the boat Yesterday I everything worked until I headed out on the lake. When I got back nothing, push on the motor it works, on the trailer it works.
What could be the problem? When It don't work It is like it a bad connection no clicking from the solonoid just nothing. Also when this started my fuel gauge stopped working. When the boat is not moving or on the trailer it works fine but when I start moving the gauge drops to empty.
Any Ideas or suggestions would be very helpful.

The motor is a 1989 Mercury 75 HP outboard

DAN M VAGOS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1989 Mercury power trim help

Well at first when you said you pushed the top of the motor it worked I would bet the farm that the brushes in the motor are bad or the Amateur is bad just like a car that dose not start and you tap on the starter and vroom but then the fuel guage thin leads me to thing there's a bad wire some where and the best way to find it is when it's not working hold the switch and have someone touch all the wires till it works. That's how I do it on boats and cars and I always find my problem.