1999 Mercury 50hp 4-stroke bigfoot - no power at ignition key

99bison

Cadet
Serial:
OG822332
50ELPT

Story:
Drove out a mile or so, motor off, fished, started, moved, motor off, fished, doesn't start. Messed around looking for loose wires all over console and engine for 15 minutes, eventually started again so drove back to dock. Once at dock was able to start again once.

Symptoms:
1. Gas, volt, mph gauges do not turn on with key (except the two times it started).
2. The rpm gauge does work fine.
2. Trim/tilt on throttle does not operate.
3. Trim/tilt on motor does operate.
4. When motor was running the gas, volt, mph gauges quit moving almost immediately.
5. No power coming into the key switch.
6. There is power at solenoid, but not the key lead there of course.
7. The wiring harness plugs, connectors and motor itself appear and and very clean inside.

Is this a cdi problem (part no: 825098 1)? Is there a wiring diagram of the cdi or motor somewhere to diagnose?

Any other ideas on what to look for?

carholme

Rear Admiral

99bison

Cadet
Re: 1999 Mercury 50hp 4-stroke bigfoot - no power at ignition key

Thanks!

It was indeed the fuse. It looked fine, but couldn't find anything else so I replaced it anyway. Then all worked fine again, no more issues, tested out for an hour or two.

Tested the fuse and it indeed was dead even though visually couldn't see any issues.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Good for you, as long as you got her going and can get back on the water.

Gerry

Hey I am in the same pickle a mechanic wanted to charge me 200 $ for house call anyway I am trying to locate the 20 amp fuse in the motor ? Is there a box or a boot I missed ?

carholme

Rear Admiral

What is your engine s/n and what problem are you having?

Gerry

I have a 1999 merc 50 four stroke.
My problem is exact one this gentleman was having I have power to my electric components (pumps , trim on the motor ) but the trim on throttle is not working . I saw you answered a guy who had the same exact problem and it was a fuse but I can't locate where the 20 amp fuse is . Where could I find it ? My email is violettegilles@hotmail.com if you want to send me a picture or something lol I am confused and scared
Help :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You find the fuse in a rubber enclosure like this one (which is a 75 HP but the location should be similar).

That is a huge help dude seriously mine does not say fuse and it's
On the opposite side but will save me money I will look tonight and get back to you thanks a million again

carholme

Rear Admiral

If you follow the red/purple wire back from the cowl mounted trim switch, it should take you right to it. It will be the shortest of the red/purple as the other one goes to the remote control.

Gerry

Hey It took me a few tried opening wires and what not buy alas she runs ! Thank you so much man you seriously saved me so much money ! And embarrassment ... If Its electrical I am a dunce ... Anyway pumped boat is running well and I am going fishing !

Now all I have to do is figure out why it bogs out at low speed ... Say if I barely press on throttle when I am trolling my mother chugs and dies out I have to find the sweet spot is this common or

99bison

Cadet

When was last time you swapped spark plugs?

Mine was a bit chuggy in that slow rev last year so I swapped this year and it's all good.

I inherited it from my old man and I figure he probably never did it and has had it for 5 years I will give it a tey can't hurt

So I am in same boat now I am busting fuses like its going out of style it's like if it does not start right away or try to quick pops fuses ! C

So I am in same boat now I am busting fuses like its going out of style it's like if it does not start right away or try to quick pops fuses ! Could it be the starter like pulling too much amps ? I have no clue how to test stuff so I have no clue