Need Good Mercury Outboard Repair Shop-Mechanic - Lindenhurst Area, Long Island

disciple

Recruit
Hello Skippers,
On my maiden voyage (01' Proline20Walk-150 Merc SW) this year after launch, just as i was beginning to plane out i heard a loud banging coming from the motor and she just quit. I was able to get it restarted and idled a mile to a ramp and yanked her out of the water.

This weekend i decided to do a compression check to determine if i had internal damage. Pulled out the #1 plug and the electrode and insulator were missing and it looked as though someone took a hammer to the end of the plug. Pulled 2 more, no issues.
I decided to put the word out on Craigslist asking for an honest good merc outboard mechanic. Nothing really came back, one guy working out of his garage and some try this or that guy.

I think it best to take it to an established shop. i rather pay the few extra bucks (maybe not) to get the job done right and with the ability to return should there be an issue.

I live in Lindenhurst NY, south shore western Suffolk county. There are many Mercury repair shops between Amityville and Babylon, none of which i have any experience with. I had a great mechanic rebuild my carbs about 6 years ago but cannot get him anymore.

Any recommendations of a good honest Mercury shop in the area would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking a broken rod or worse so we are talking way past my skillset.

Thank you very much and happy cruising.

Mike